none
MDT Deployment Upgrade from Windows 10 1703 to 1709 RRS feed

• Question

• My agency currently has a fully-functioning image for Windows 10 version 1703. We are about to roll out 400+ computers at the end of the month and we are being asked by upper management about the latest and greatest version of 1709. In the past and over the summer, we've had problems with the newest version coming out and all of the testing that needed to be done. So with that being said, is there a way to upgrade the 1703 version of Windows 10 to the 1709 version during the Task Sequence with MDT 2013? If so, does MDT 2013 Update 2 (ADK 1709) need to be used or can we continue with ADK 8443?

Britney

Monday, January 8, 2018 5:33 PM

All replies

• You need atleast MDT 8443 and ADK 1709 for Build 1709.
    Monday, January 8, 2018 5:39 PM
  • Okay. That answers part of the question. But what are the steps to incorporate the 1709 upgrade during the deployment process and/or task sequence? I'm trying to avoid having to do a rebuild of the reference image for one, and two, just in case something doesn't agree with our environment we can easily go back without a whole lot of extra work. 

Britney

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:45 PM
  • You'll need to incorporate the 1709 WIM and rebuild your reference image with it, it's not an update like a service pack but a full re-install, but this should be fairly trivial if your process is setup properly, literally swapping a single step with the newer source bits. Also, hang onto your previous reference image as a fallback if the new one doesn't work as expected during testing.

One thing you do need to do is work this into your support methodology, Windows 10 will be updating twice a year and that wont be slowing down or stopping, your "working time" for any specific version will be 18 months (until no longer supported with patches), so having a method for dropping the new bits into your process, testing and moving to production will have to be smooth and predictable...

Jack

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:53 PM
  • Okay. That's good to know. With all of that being said. How would this work for PC's that already have been deployed to the users with 1703 on them? We be able to push out an update or do an in-place upgrade, without having to re-image the entire machine?

Britney

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:00 PM
  • It's an OS upgrade, so if you're using your own WSUS then approve the 1709 update otherwise if a system has been running for at least 30 days since it was first setup, it should get the 1709 update from Microsoft directly if you're not using your own WSUS.

There's no need to re-image a working machine. You could also build an in-place upgrade task sequence if you want MDT to do more than just upgrade the OS.

Daniel Vega

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:26 PM
  • Thank you Daniel. That was extremely helpful. Do you happen to know the steps for the in-place upgraded task sequence? 

Britney

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:42 PM
  • You will need to import the full source media (not a custom WIM) and create a task sequence, selecting Standard Client Upgrade Task Sequence. Microsoft has a short guide linked below.

Perform an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 with MDT

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Oh okay, I see. Do you happen to know the KB number or the name of the 1709 update that I should be looking for in WSUS?

Britney

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:22 PM
  • I don't know the specific name, but I did find the Microsoft guide on deploying the update via WSUS.

Deploy Windows 10 updates using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:32 PM
  • Thank you Daniel. That was extremely helpful. Do you happen to know the steps for the in-place upgraded task sequence? 

Britney

In addition, you can use the TS based approach to apply pre- and post-update modifications, for example removing incompatible software and / or applying application updates prior to initiating the update process. You can also apply post-update modifications similarly to the State Restore phase in your standard client deployment TS. A good example would be the activation of the Application Guard feature introduced in Windows 1709.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:09 PM
  • Yes, Anton. That's pretty much the route that I'm trying to go with this. I'm just having a hard time finding the Feature Update for Windows 10, version 1709 out in the Microsoft Update Catalog. Because I sort of know what to look for in WSUS, but I don't want to approve a download and then it get pushed out when I don't need it to, but rather get it downloaded and pull it off of our WSUS server to test out if it will do the upgrade when installed as a stand-alone update. Any ideas?

Britney

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:53 PM
  • You do not need the WSUS update if you are going down the MDT route. All you need is a 1709 ISO from VLSC.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Anton,

We currently have a functioning and stable custom image that we've prepared for deployment (version 1703), before being told that they now want us to prepare 1709 to deploy at the end of the month. We have the 1709 ISO downloaded, but wouldn't that require rebuilding the reference image from scratch?

Britney

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:28 PM
  • For future deployments - yes. You should have some automation in place that allows you to rapidly regenerate your base images. For my customers I am creating MDT based automated process that often boils down to replacing base image, adding a few adjustments and running a build and capture TS. You will need this sort of flexibility to deal with the WaaS model. However, for feature updates (e.g. updating your existing installs) you can use the 1709 ISO and the Upgrade TS as outlined by Dan above.

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:00 PM