none
Power query 2016 on home edition RRS feed

• Question

• I am not able to view the connector for HDFS and multiple connectors are missing on my excel 2016 edition. I am not sure what seems to be the problem.

Thanks in advance

Raghav

Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Raghav

The Excel SKUs that get all BI functionality are Professional, Professional Plus, ProPlus and Excel standalone.

The main differences from BI functionality between these SKUs and all other SKUs (Home, Business etc.);

Business is getting the same connectors list as the Home SKUs: Access, Excel,Table, Web, CSV, XML, Text,SQL  Server, OData Feed, Folder, Analysis Services, ODBC, Facebook.

The Professional, Professional Plus, ProPlus and Excel standalone SKUs are getting on top of the above list also: SharePoint Lists, Active Directory, Microsoft Azure Marketplace, Microsoft Azure SQL Database, Microsoft Azure Blog Storage, Microsoft Azure Table Storage, Microsoft Azure HDInsight Files, Hadoop Files, Oracle, DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, Teradata, Exchange, Dynamics CRM, Salesforce.

If you are on O365 subscription license you will see more and more connectors getting added to the lists over the  upcoming months.

Best Regards

Eli

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hi Raghav

If you are using O365 you should get O365 Pro Plus.

If you are using a Regular desktop installation you should get, ProPlus, Professional, or Excel Standalone.

Best

Eli

Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Raghav. As this post explains, not all data connectors are available in the Home edition.

Ehren

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:05 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

I had home edition 2013 prior to this and that had all the connectors. Though I have not scanned the entire article mentioned by you, I find it really weird that Microsoft would discontinue connectors in new versions. Is this because in embedded functionality, it is assumed that people would not want to connect to HDFS.

Cheers

Raghav

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:53 AM
  • Hi Raghav,

It is expected that some sources are only available in Premium editions of Excel. In what version of PowerQuery did you have access to the full list of sources in Home edition?

The connectors were never discontinued - older versions of PowerQuery were intended for installation only in Premium editions of Excel. PowerQuery was then officially released for Consumer editions, but with a smaller collection of data sources.

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:31 AM
  • Hi Anton,

I have tried both the Home edition and office 365(just got the trial version to check) business without any success on finding the editors.

Does the Office 365 business also not have these connectors.

What do you mean by Premium editions of excel??

Thanks and Regards

Raghav

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Hi Raghav

The Excel SKUs that get all BI functionality are Professional, Professional Plus, ProPlus and Excel standalone.

The main differences from BI functionality between these SKUs and all other SKUs (Home, Business etc.);

Business is getting the same connectors list as the Home SKUs: Access, Excel,Table, Web, CSV, XML, Text,SQL  Server, OData Feed, Folder, Analysis Services, ODBC, Facebook.

The Professional, Professional Plus, ProPlus and Excel standalone SKUs are getting on top of the above list also: SharePoint Lists, Active Directory, Microsoft Azure Marketplace, Microsoft Azure SQL Database, Microsoft Azure Blog Storage, Microsoft Azure Table Storage, Microsoft Azure HDInsight Files, Hadoop Files, Oracle, DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, Teradata, Exchange, Dynamics CRM, Salesforce.

If you are on O365 subscription license you will see more and more connectors getting added to the lists over the  upcoming months.

Best Regards

Eli

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hi Eli,

Just to be clear.. do i need to get office 2016 business standalone, if i want to access all the connectors??

Regards

Raghav

Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:25 AM
  • Hi Raghav

If you are using O365 you should get O365 Pro Plus.

If you are using a Regular desktop installation you should get, ProPlus, Professional, or Excel Standalone.

Best

Eli

Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:23 PM