Launching task manager when low on ram can't display all tabs RRS feed

• Question

• NOTE: I'm testing under high memory pressure due to a dev situation which isn't ideal (IIS, .Net, etc.). This could cause ram allocation errors but highly unlikely it would WHEN I did this. 

I have saved the machine state (Hyper-V VM) if helpful to upload somewhere.

On this test I have .Net web garden which is failing to allocate ram, the .Net problems I'll submit elsewhere (not sure where to) but basically if I have a lot of garbage to collect AND filling ram with Cache object - Both of which should be able to be freed from ram when the system has little to none free I can see significant swapping. I now have turned off swap file so that the worker processes get unable to allocate memory errors, but in addition to that I got my RDP disconnected, the next time I logged in I didn't get Explorer/Start menu at all. The third time I logged in and launched task manager and have only one tab. I pretty much immediately saved state and posted this in case helpful to upload VM and RAM.

For anyone .Net reading this: I'm experimenting with <gcTrimCommitOnLowMemory enabled="true"/> which doesn't seem aggressive enough given these kind of errors. 

I have about 10 lines of C# code can take down a windows server I can run which uses nothing but String, GUID.ToString, and a few for/next loops. 

Friday, December 25, 2015 6:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

.Net(codes/programing) related problem, you may post on MSDN forum, select the correct queue by clicking “view all” at the left column:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

According to your description, my understanding is that Explorer/Start menu and tabs on Task Manager will be missed when you remote connect to the WS 2016 TP4(VM).

Have you manually changed the registry key/system files before this problem happened? If so, try to undo the change and confirm the result.

Have you configured RDS deployment(RD session host/connection broker/etc.), or only enable the remote connection on the server locally? 

Remote connect with another credential/or, from another device and confirm the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 28, 2015 7:08 AM