none
Project 2013 Clear Filter Error RRS feed

• Question

• A few of our Projects have been giving us errors when trying to clear the filter. When attempting to click 'Clear Filter' under the Filter dropdown, we receive an error that states:

The filter "" cannot be found.
    You tried to display a view or use an import/export map that references a filter that is not available.
    If you are trying to use a view, specify a different filter for the view.
    If you are exporting with a map, the export will continue without the application of a filter.

Followed by:

The argument value is not valid.
    Verify that the value is spelled correctly, and that it is of the type that this argument expects.

This happens also when running a macro that contains the 'FilterClear' Method/Function. It does not occur on all of our projects, only a few. It also occurs no matter what filter was previously applied. I've tried just recreating the file by saving as XML and then opening that in Project, but Project won't seem to open that. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thursday, May 26, 2016 3:08 PM

Answers

• DigitalDave1,

Yes, I have two suggestions.

First make sure your installation of Project 2013 is updated with the latest Cumulative Update (May 2016). The easiest way to do that is to run Windows Update.

Second, the fact that Project would not open the XML version of the file indicates the file is corrupt. Do you use the Notes field for any tasks? Since the save as XML process fails, try one or more of the other methods described in this Wiki article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32054.ms-project-clearing-file-corruption-andor-bloat.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by DigitalDave1 Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:49 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:15 PM

All replies

• DigitalDave1,

Yes, I have two suggestions.

First make sure your installation of Project 2013 is updated with the latest Cumulative Update (May 2016). The easiest way to do that is to run Windows Update.

Second, the fact that Project would not open the XML version of the file indicates the file is corrupt. Do you use the Notes field for any tasks? Since the save as XML process fails, try one or more of the other methods described in this Wiki article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32054.ms-project-clearing-file-corruption-andor-bloat.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by DigitalDave1 Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:49 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:15 PM
  • Thank you John. I tried the first two methods with no luck. However, method 3 from that wiki did the trick! Again, thank you!
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:50 PM
  • DigitalDave1,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:32 PM