Promise AHCI Compatible RAID Controller - Causes BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Promise Technologies Inc. - Storage - Promise AHCI Compatible RAID Controller

Download size: 136 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Promise Technologies Inc. Storage software update released in August, 2010

More information:
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20373478

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After installing that optional update, my system refused to start normally and would blue screen with non-specific errors.  The BSOD would only ask that I run chkdsk and scan for viruses and all startup repair routines failed with the exception of "Last Known Good" configuration.

System & Hardware :
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Intel i7 920
    6GB RAM
    Asus P6T Motherboard
    nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB

My system is virus-free and runs flawlessly (aside from that driver). As far as I know, this driver should not be suggested since I do not have a Promise controller as far as I know.

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:17 AM

All replies

• Can you make a systemrestore?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:32 AM
  • System Restore was ineffective, it kept telling me there were no restore points (though in Windows, I can see the most recent) and it would force me to try other methods.

Once I finally gave up trying to boot into safe mode and everything, I gave up and used the Last Known Good Configuration and got back up and running. I ran Windows update again and it again offered the driver for install, but I hid the update in the list and will just stay away from it. :)

Thanks for your reply, Andre.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, August 20, 2010 1:14 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:39 AM
  • ok, this was my 2nd suggestion. Nice to hear that you fixed it :)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:15 PM
  • I was offered this update today as well, 1st time ever. I have the Intel Raid Storage Technology controller with the latest drivers and see no need for the update. After reading the OP, I am not even considering installing it. I am curious why it shows up today, I have made no changes to the system. I Googled Promise Technologies, doesn't look like a very promising company to me.

OS = Win7 Ultx64

C:\ = 4 OCZ Vertex Turbos - RAID 0

D:\ = 2 WD 640 GB spinners, RAID 1

Any ideas on how/why this update is showing up?

ETA - further research on this - seems the update is showing up on machines with ASUS mobos.

- suggested solution - hide and forget about it - this is my plan.

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:14 PM
  • I was offered this update today as well, 1st time ever. I have the Intel Raid Storage Technology controller with the latest drivers and see no need for the update. After reading the OP, I am not even considering installing it. I am curious why it shows up today, I have made no changes to the system. I Googled Promise Technologies, doesn't look like a very promising company to me.

OS = Win7 Ultx64

C:\ = 4 OCZ Vertex Turbos - RAID 0

D:\ = 2 WD 640 GB spinners, RAID 1

Any ideas on how/why this update is showing up?

ETA - further research on this - seems the update is showing up on machines with ASUS mobos.

Perhaps this has something to with the combination of Intel storage Technology controller and OCZ Vertex in Raid 0.  ??

I have the same combination, and the same problem.

I had to restore from an Image .

Friday, August 20, 2010 4:52 PM
  • ETA - further research on this - seems the update is showing up on machines with ASUS mobos.

Perhaps this has something to with the combination of Intel storage Technology controller and OCZ Vertex in Raid 0.  ??

Seems to be the ASUS mobo, according to another forum, but could be a combination of things. A good reason NOT to automatically install updates without knowing what is being updated.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Perhaps this has something to with the combination of Intel storage Technology controller and OCZ Vertex in Raid 0.  ??

I do not have anything OCZ in my machine, but you could be on to something for anyone else being offered the update.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Seems to be the ASUS mobo, according to another forum, but could be a combination of things. A good reason NOT to automatically install updates without knowing what is being updated.

Yeah, I never automatically install updates. I did a manual check as usual this past Tuesday and it was there. I pretty much ignored it until last night because I didn't want to reboot at the time I first noticed it being offered. Last night, I checked again and it was still there... so I installed it. Restarted as Windows Update asked me to and it would just blue screen with a very short, pretty non-descriptive error on the screen. All it did was ask me to run chkdsk and a virus scan... all of that I couldn't do because it would only blue screen, even when going into safe mode.

But, yeah... stay away from this update everyone.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:38 PM
  • This is another reason to keep a recent backup available at ALL times.

You never know when you may need it.

Always practice safe computer use ;-)

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:42 PM
  • ETA - further research on this - seems the update is showing up on machines with ASUS mobos.

No, with us it was a Gigabyte GA-H57M and we got this update too.

We have the same issue with Windows Server 2008, which caused a break down for long used RAID-10 array, and annihilated corporate developers' SQL database. WS 2008 has not System restore, Last known good configuration also was of no use since OS restarted successfully, so the only way was to manually uninstall the Promise AHCI Compatible RAID Controller from Storage controllers in Device manager and then five Promise SCSI disks from Disk drives - and only then proper devices appeared instead: Intel ICH8R SATA RAID Controller, a half of a broken RAID-10 drive, and two independent SATA disks, which should be the rest of the RAID-10.

It seems the update writes something to the hard drives during installation, so after reboot the onboard RAID controller does not recognize some disks as being in the array. Unfortunately this controller has very poor restoring options, so 240 Gb of data passed away... and all the developers' pool with it.. Too heavy a loss for the corporate annual inventory eve... No backups, since it was a server for development only, oops...

• Proposed as answer by Deivs Friday, August 20, 2010 7:57 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:15 PM
  • This is another reason to keep a recent backup available at ALL times.

You never know when you may need it.

Always practice safe computer use ;-)

Yeah, as I stated above... System Restore was useless in this event. I do have backups on BDR, but I wanted to to be as close to the 12 hours before this happened as possible.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:58 PM
  • its not a problem. Simple delete at device manager all  storage controllers with check box uninstall. restart pc. after that Its install intel and promise drivers both again. disable promise driver and leave intel. restart pc . Thats all. Its help to me. Good luck
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:01 PM
  • its not a problem. Simple delete at device manager all  storage controllers with check box uninstall. restart pc. after that Its install intel and promise drivers both again. disable promise driver and leave intel. restart pc . Thats all. Its help to me. Good luck

The only problem with that was the fact that it would blue screen before it even finished the loading animation. It would even blue screen when going into safe mode and it blue screened twice when trying alternate recovery options.

My machine has been fine (tested several reboots and safe mode) since I got back to the last known good configuration.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Men, you were lucky indeed!  In my case it took about 24 hours to find the case, remove the malicious update, restore initial RAID configuration (with total data loss, of course) and then find a third party tool to safely recover the department data (Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro 6.20 proved itself). After all the hassle I feel like a torn down RAID array myself... Till last minute nobody felt any chances for a happy end.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Another case of the dreaded Promise virus (or whatever it is).  I installed the update and it destroyed the Windows 7 Professional OS.  I do have an AHCI/RAID/eSata device onboard, but it is disabled.  I am only using the Intel Raid.  Microsoft needs to get rid of this update.  Reinstalled the OS several times before identifying this as the culprit.  BEWARE.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Promise Technologies Inc. - Storage - Promise AHCI Compatible RAID Controller

Download size: 136 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Promise Technologies Inc. Storage software update released in August, 2010

More information:
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20373478

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After installing that optional update, my system refused to start normally and would blue screen with non-specific errors.  The BSOD would only ask that I run chkdsk and scan for viruses and all startup repair routines failed with the exception of "Last Known Good" configuration.

System & Hardware :
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Intel i7 920
    6GB RAM
    Asus P6T Motherboard
    nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB

My system is virus-free and runs flawlessly (aside from that driver). As far as I know, this driver should not be suggested since I do not have a Promise controller as far as I know.

i have same problem nod fixed help me pliz
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:54 AM
  • I've had the same problem with this "Promise" update and mistakenly/stupidly installed it. Computer won't boot for anything. I've been trying to fix things via the recovery console but I don't know which driver to disable in the registry. Does anyone know what's its called? Or anything about the driver files themselves?

Monday, August 23, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Yep, I suffered this myself on Saturday. Wasted a nice 5 hours rectifying everything again.... :(

Surely it would be a simple text addition next to the Update that said something like "Use this at your own risk" or "Definite potential for RAID array corruption after this update" or similar?

I know why it 'broke' my OS. I've been there and done that before on other PCs and I'll happily admit that it was my mistake for not picking up on the Promise update this time around.

But Microsoft - be aware. This is a very small spanner to throw into the workings of people's PCs that cause them to come to a big grinding halt. I'm fortunate in that I know how to reformat the RAID array and put Windows 7 back on - even if I did have to mess about with a spare OS install to copy data off the now defunct array in the first place. All I lost in the end was a valuable chunk of my weekend - nothing more.

Please amend the description on this Update ASAP to make sure that novices and those with extremely precious data are kept well away from it. Or at least informed that it can be a very destructive update to apply.

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:47 AM
  • I am just glad that it wasn't only me with the problem. At least with lots of people having the issue, Microsoft are more likely to notice it some years down the line and not do this sort of thing again.

It's pretty sad that this update is still floating around. I've hidden the update in all of my other Windows 7 machines for now.

Monday, August 23, 2010 3:33 PM
  • As I checked the box to install the update, I had alarm bells ringing.  "Your system works fine.  Why do you need something new to mess with your raid array?" My obsessive desire to be up-to-date with the latest hardware, drivers and software won out, unfortunately.

Once installed, my computer booted without problem - as my OS is on a non-raid OCZ Vertex SSD.  The problem was that, although Win7 could see drive E:, it did not see it as a raid array, and wanted to format it. This was in spite of the fact that as my bios posted, the Gigabyte raid controller could see my raid array no problem.

I have a Gigabyte mobo, so the problem is not confined to ASUS.

Following the advice of one of the helpful posts above, I used device manager to uninstall the promise raid controller and rebooted.   This seemed to take a bit longer than normal, particularly as the Gigabyte raid controller identified my drives, and when starting up, Windows initially did not even detect my E: drive, but after about 20 seconds, there it was, with data intact and programs able to run without problem.

This is obviously going to be a major problem for a lot of people.  Thanks very much MS, there's an hour of my life that I'm not getting back...

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:17 AM
  • So what's the solution if we can't even get into safe mode?  Can we disable the raid controller in BIOS in order to be able to boot into Windows and remove the driver? 
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Well... Throw me in the bucket too.  Could not resist some completely useless optional driver update like the other gent above.  I have a Gigabyte EX58 Extreme with a pair of RAID-0 arrays and now I'm reloading Win7 and all my apps as my boot drive is useless.  Tried every possible thing (oh, about 5 times each).  Its my fault, since I looked at the Promise driver, and actually unchecked it, and then rechecked it.  "Welcome to learn the same lesson again day" kids!  :)

Notes:

- I have system restore turned off - always do - so could not try that option (although it did not seem to help anyone else)

- Don't have a system image - could not ry that option

- Do have all my 'data' backed up and on a separate array from the OS - so not the end of the world

***BUT... How in the ____ could MS take away the unbelievably useful repair install the XP had?  Where it would simply fix XP files and your apps and files would be fine.  I use this nearly every week for client systems (with XP) when they get viruses, etc.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:12 AM
  • I am so thankful I didn't install this, a rare choice on my part. There are a lot of us a lot smarter now about installing updates.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Well... Throw me in the bucket too.  Could not resist some completely useless optional driver update like the other gent above.  I have a Gigabyte EX58 Extreme with a pair of RAID-0 arrays and now I'm reloading Win7 and all my apps as my boot drive is useless.  Tried every possible thing (oh, about 5 times each).  Its my fault, since I looked at the Promise driver, and actually unchecked it, and then rechecked it.  "Welcome to learn the same lesson again day" kids!  :)

Notes:

- I have system restore turned off - always do - so could not try that option (although it did not seem to help anyone else)

- Don't have a system image - could not ry that option

- Do have all my 'data' backed up and on a separate array from the OS - so not the end of the world

***BUT... How in the ____ could MS take away the unbelievably useful repair install the XP had?  Where it would simply fix XP files and your apps and files would be fine.  I use this nearly every week for client systems (with XP) when they get viruses, etc.

^^^ - Dave, you sound like a clone of me on that Notes section!

To add insult to injury, I fired up the PC last night and one of the 500GB drives making up the RAID0 array is now dead. Great. So in just over two days, I'm now having to reformat my PC again . Windows 7 Activation is going to have a field-day with me. :(

So much time wasted over the last few days.....

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:59 AM
  • I can't believe how slow MS is about ditching this update.  I just checked updates and it is still there!  After reinstalling the OS eight or so times, I am avoiding any updates for a while...
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:44 PM
  • So what's the solution if we can't even get into safe mode?  Can we disable the raid controller in BIOS in order to be able to boot into Windows and remove the driver? 

Like I mentioned above, you will have to enter the boot menu and try "Last Known Good Configuration."

Just hit F8 during startup and you will see the option.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:25 PM
  • I am finding it amazing that so many people are having this issue and either losing data, time or both because of it. Microsoft are really dropping the ball on this.

Come on, Microsoft. Get your heads together and remove the update or fix it so that it is only offered to the people who can actually use it.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:29 PM