Black Screen of Death on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Morning,

Well, I got 20% done playing skyrim (great game by the way) when I switched over to my browser to check on facebook stuff.  That's when I noticed my task bar was not functioning.  I could not click on Start button or even ctrl-alt-del.    Interesting, I was able to tab back to skyrim.  I then figured I needed to fix the situation, so I did a hard reboot by holding down the power button.  Well, now I boot up and get black screen with moveable mouse.  I can switch to safe mode, but I cannot switch to safe mode with networking (this brings up black screen with mouse as well).  In safe mode, if I run a virus check with webroot, after it finishes a few minutes later the system suddenly gets a little blue circle hour glass after I click on the task bar or Start button and subsequent clicks on things do not occur for minutes like the cpu is just being dogged.  This seems like what might be going on that is causing the black screen but I just happen to have a desktop to see the sluggish activity.  I cannot bring up task manager to figure out what is hogging the system.   I tried restoring back to previous points, but that did not help.  I uninstalled the video driver and even the wireless linksys card driver (hoped that it was trying some network thing that was dogging the system and doing this would make it not).  I unplugged the video card cable and tried the alternate dvi on the card.  I powered off and left it powered off.  I ran the sfc /scannow command.  Short of re-installing windows, I am at a loss on what to do.  Note that my drive is a solid state drive that it boots up on.  Also, I may have gotten a malware thing too as one page I went to brought up a fake virus cleaner thing and started to run on me when I tried to close the page.  In safe mode, webroot reports nothing found, but shows 2 things cleaned.  Is there a way to do something like a re-install of windows that does not wipe out all my stuff installed (i.e., something I can run backup wise in safe mode before doing the rebuild of Windows 7)?  Is the repair disk just the Windows 7 install disk?  I booted up off the cd and had it do repair.  That changed nothing.

• Edited by mrdeshapiro Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:24 PM

Answers

• I went ahead and bought a new drive and re-installed windows 7 and that worked, which is a relief as you know trying to figure out the faulty part can be a major hassle and costly.

The question I have now is I have on a secondary drive windows backups and can I use it to just get my skyrim game saves off of it? It has one backup dated from 12/25 - 1/1. I see from online with webroot that I was right about a malicious program getting detected, although it lists it as uncatagorized that was seen on my system around 12/18 (not sure if it was removed from the information webroot shows online). By the way, from its name you can tell it is the one I mentioned above that pretends to be a virus scanner. I suspect that it gets on the system prior and then waits for a click for a particular web page (maybe key words in the web page url or it uses known malicious site data like a malware scanner) and then runs.

Anyway, back to the question. How does backup restore work (I am worried about starting the restore until I know)? Will it let me restore specific items or does it just let you do a full restore, which would bring back the virus? The skyrim saves are for about 168 hours of play I did so restarting would be a major pain.

Oh, and if the person or people responsible for this virus are reading these things, you guys should play skyrim. That should keep you busy with something other than hacking for a year...

• Marked as answer by mrdeshapiro Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:00 PM
  • I sure am glad I contacted me, or I never would have resolved this.  Anyway, windows 7 now lets you restore indvidual files, so I was able to get my saves. 

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:50 PM

All replies

• I went ahead and bought a new drive and re-installed windows 7 and that worked, which is a relief as you know trying to figure out the faulty part can be a major hassle and costly.

The question I have now is I have on a secondary drive windows backups and can I use it to just get my skyrim game saves off of it? It has one backup dated from 12/25 - 1/1. I see from online with webroot that I was right about a malicious program getting detected, although it lists it as uncatagorized that was seen on my system around 12/18 (not sure if it was removed from the information webroot shows online). By the way, from its name you can tell it is the one I mentioned above that pretends to be a virus scanner. I suspect that it gets on the system prior and then waits for a click for a particular web page (maybe key words in the web page url or it uses known malicious site data like a malware scanner) and then runs.

Anyway, back to the question. How does backup restore work (I am worried about starting the restore until I know)? Will it let me restore specific items or does it just let you do a full restore, which would bring back the virus? The skyrim saves are for about 168 hours of play I did so restarting would be a major pain.

Oh, and if the person or people responsible for this virus are reading these things, you guys should play skyrim. That should keep you busy with something other than hacking for a year...

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:00 PM
  • I sure am glad I contacted me, or I never would have resolved this.  Anyway, windows 7 now lets you restore indvidual files, so I was able to get my saves. 

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:50 PM
  • I suggest you do not run the file restore. Just double-click to open the backup file and get the data you want from it.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Thanks for the response Arthur Xie.  Yes, I found that Windows 7 has brought the ability to restore individual files, so the game is back on!   It is sad though that the fix is to rebuild my system.  It appears repairs and restore to previous save points was not sufficient to deal with this issue.  Event logs showed nothing helpful in safe mode. 
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Launch safe mode with command prompt, then type rstrui.exe to Restore the system to an earlier time. Hope this helps!
    Friday, April 5, 2013 9:05 PM