Startup issue: "File header checksum does not match computed checksum" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am having this problem with an OEM Vista that came with my new HP Pavillion special edition notebook.

Unfortunately, HP is not providing me enough help, since I bought this in South Korea.

I refuse to believe that there's a hardware problem in this new laptop, since when I deployed a Linux in it, I have got no issues at all.

I installed that version of windows that creates a new partition for recovery - that comes with notebook without any installation disk.

After I install, I get the following error on boot: "The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum.".

I tried to use Windows Startup Recovery, reinstalled the computer to original factory condition a thousand of times...

Also I tried to run checkdisk, ram memory test, and everything passed.

I have to press the power button several times untill the message disapear, passing through several blue screens.

I know it might be funny that, but here's another thing that I get from this error.

The problem only happen when I boot the computer after the notebook is a long time shut down (for example, when I got from work every day). But since the computer starts once, if I shut it down and start it again, it does not happen. If I restart it, it does not happen too. It seems that only happen when the computer is "cold".

I haven't installed any other hardware, but I get a Core2 Duo, 2.0GHz, 3MB Ram, 160GB HD.

Does anyone knows anything that can help me?

Thanks,

Rodrigo Queiroz

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, this issue could be caused by the following factors:

1.There are dual booting on the computer.

2.A memory slot issue.

3.Old BIOS version.

4.Hardware issue.

Regarding the #1, please understand that compatibility issues may arise with different operating systems, especially the booting process. Please ensure only Windows Vista on the computer to troubleshoot this issue.

Regarding the #2, Vista is extremely sensitive to any kind of memory error possibly because of ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization). If possible, could you please change your memory to another memory slot?

Regarding the #3, sometimes BIOS version will cause checksum issue. Could you please update your BIOS to the latest version?

Regarding the #4, I noticed you said the computer is a HP Pavillion special edition notebook and the issue persists after reinstalling the computer to original factory condition. Please understand that this is a special edition notebook, your computer manufacturer may have customized hardware and the Windows installation with unique components, such as specific device drivers and optional settings to maximize performance on its hardware. We do not have more information about this situation. So the hardware manufacturer is the best resource to provide technical support and assistance for this issue.

For your convenience:

HP Support (US)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thank you for your understanding.

Friday, July 11, 2008 10:38 AM