none
Custom site template not showing up in list when creating new site RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded a site collection from 2010 to 2013.

There is a site template called "My Site Template" which shows up in solution gallery (in Site Settings) in both 2010 and 2013. I can also activate and deactivate it in 2013.

I have also deactivated and reactivated same site collection features in 2013 that are in 2010.

This template is showing up in "Custom" tab when you try to create a new site in 2010. But the same template is not showing up in "Custom" tab in 2013 (when creating new site)

In fact "Custom" tab is not even there in 2013.

I also have a code where I am reading that template. When looping, I can see that template in 2010 but same template is not coming up in 2013.

SPWebTemplateCollection templates = site.GetWebTemplates(1033);

foreach (SPWebTemplate template in templates)

{

}

I am stuck in this issue for the past 2 days and read many solutions but none are working.

Here's another person facing same issue but no luck.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/98722/custom-site-template-uploaded-and-activated-in-site-solution-gallery-are-not-com

How do I make that template appear?
    Saturday, August 6, 2016 5:41 PM

Answers

• Here's what I did to solve the issue.

1. I downloaded template from SP 2010 server which was in the form of .wsp.
    2. Renamed it to .cab and then extracted manifest.xml.
    3. In this file there is a property called "SharePointProductVersion" which was set to version "14.0.4762.1000".
    4. I went to CA of SP 2013 farm and in "Servers in farm" under "System Settings", noted down version and replaced it with that one.
    5. Then I remade .cab using MakeCab.exe utility and then renamed it to .wsp and uploaded in solutions gallery in SP 2013.
    Monday, August 8, 2016 8:55 PM

All replies

• Go to Site Settings >> Page Layout and Site Template Settings, and see whether your custom site template is added to set of templates which can be used. if not add one to the list.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Saturday, August 6, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Go to Site Settings >> Page Layout and Site Template Settings, and see whether your custom site template is added to set of templates which can be used. if not add one to the list.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

There is no Page Layout option in Site Settings probably because this is not a Publishing site so I enabled this feature but still I don't see this Page Layout option.
    Saturday, August 6, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Can you directly try the url

https://yoursite_Url/_layouts/15/AreaTemplateSettings.aspx

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh

Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:10 PM

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh

Yes. It shows three sections:

Subsite Templates
    Page Layouts
    New Page Default Settings

And my template is in none of the sections.

Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have updates entries in ONET.xml and webtemp*.xml to match up with the SP2013 ? If you custom template based on the site definition in SP2010, ensure these are correctly migrated to SP2013 . I mean WSP Packages and related assemblies are deployed at Farm level ?

Failure reasons could be , the available features in your old custom template not available in SP2013 and Master Page references were not set to use those available in SP 2013.

If you are using the site definition based template, try to use the Import Package project template in Visual Studio, that point 2013 site and redeploy it and check the site template are ready to create the site.

Murugesa Pandian | MCPD | MCTS | SharePoint 2010 |

Sunday, August 7, 2016 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

This is tricky. You need to scour through the ULS logs to find out what happened.

On the other hand, the compatibility needs to be reviewed too. 

Are you able to migrate a site created in 2010 using the template to 2013

https://www.fiverr.com/rashu268

Sunday, August 7, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Any update?

Best regards,

Patrick

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 8, 2016 2:59 AM
  • Here's what I did to solve the issue.

1. I downloaded template from SP 2010 server which was in the form of .wsp.
    2. Renamed it to .cab and then extracted manifest.xml.
    3. In this file there is a property called "SharePointProductVersion" which was set to version "14.0.4762.1000".
    4. I went to CA of SP 2013 farm and in "Servers in farm" under "System Settings", noted down version and replaced it with that one.
    5. Then I remade .cab using MakeCab.exe utility and then renamed it to .wsp and uploaded in solutions gallery in SP 2013.
    Monday, August 8, 2016 8:55 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Really glad to know you managed it and Shared your solution to us. So Its OTB template not based on Site Definition. If it is Site definition based, then one can consider to look into my reply to this thread.

Appreciate your explanations once again Martin.

Murugesa Pandian | MCPD | MCTS | SharePoint 2010 |

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:46 PM

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh

This worked for me... Custom wasn't an option, I went here, and then made my template the only option for Subsites.  With this I was able to use it, then went back and made everything an option again... :)

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:16 PM