WMP proxy settings not applying RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of GPO's for applying different IE and WMP settings to different people, and am developing new ones to account for IE11 that don't use the IEM. I have a problem that I can't account for. In every GPO the following setting is set the same:

User Configuration/Windows Components/Windows Media Player/Networking/Configure HHTP Proxy - Proxy Type = Use browser proxy settings

However, this setting applies correctly in some scenarios (see below) but not in others.

PC has IE9 and a policy that sets IE9 proxy using IEM - WMP correctly picks up the proxy setting

PC has IE11 and a policy that does not use IEM - WMP correctly picks up the proxy setting

PC has IE9 and a policy that does not use IEM - WMP does not apply the proxy settings

I'm confused, and the IEM could be a red herring but in any case why would this one setting not apply? Any help identifying what prevents it working would be welcome.

Thanks, Mark

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:27 PM

Answers

• Solved the riddle. The mp4 was on an https file sharing site and the settings that was stopping things working was "Do not save encrypted pages to disk". I was not seeing the proxy settings applying in gpresult output on IE9 box, and still am not seeing it (though it does display on an IE11 box), but the registry value is there despite this.
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 2:45 PM