Unable to attach USB device in XP Mode on Windows 7 enterprise x64 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using XP Mode on win 7 enterprise edition x64, when i try to attach USB devices on XP Mode i receive the below message

''Could not attach the USB device. You can attach the USB device to the different USB port or restart the virtual machine and try again"

USB devices works fine on windows 7 but not in XP Mode.

Any suggestions please..

Monday, August 5, 2013 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From what I have known, not all USB devices will work under XP Mode hubs.

Also, Windows 7 XP Mode is not capable of detecting or recognizing USB 3.0 ports on the host system.  It is only capable of detecting and recognizing USB 2.0 ports.

Does the USB device can be detected in the host machine? On the host machine, go to Device Manager, check if USB Virtualization is installed, try to uninstall and re-install it for test.

Meanwhile, please refer the following article and check the result:

Scenario 2: Use a USB device in a virtual machine

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744684%28v=WS.10%29.aspx

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by V_OOPS Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:52 AM

All replies

• try to reinstall XP Mode virtual machine tools within the virtual pc it self.. from  control panel

these usb host connection is controlled via these tools..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont forget to mark this as helpful if you found this is helpful ,and its the answer mark this as answer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Proposed as answer by Aravindaiud Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:34 AM
  • Hi Aravinda,

Thanks but this dint help, i ve two systems and both have the same problem, I feel my laptop HP Folio 9470m doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports. Any other suggestions please

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Hi,

From what I have known, not all USB devices will work under XP Mode hubs.

Also, Windows 7 XP Mode is not capable of detecting or recognizing USB 3.0 ports on the host system.  It is only capable of detecting and recognizing USB 2.0 ports.

Does the USB device can be detected in the host machine? On the host machine, go to Device Manager, check if USB Virtualization is installed, try to uninstall and re-install it for test.

Meanwhile, please refer the following article and check the result:

Scenario 2: Use a USB device in a virtual machine

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744684%28v=WS.10%29.aspx

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by V_OOPS Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Hi,

I had already tried your suggestions but no luck, still i see USB Virtualization drivers error in XP VM device manager.

Regards,

Manoj

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:52 PM
  • As kelvin said, in fact, not all USB devices will work under XP Mode hubs.

Maybe that's right.
    • Edited by Jack00121 Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:50 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Did you ever resolve this problem on your HP computers with XP Mode not being able to attach to the USB devices?  I am having the same issue on 5 brand new HP laptops.   I know XP is ending support but I have a softphone that will not run on Windows 7 so while I bought new Windows 7 laptops I need to run the softphone in XP Mode.  The users do not browse the Internet in XP Mode.   

If you resolved it please advise what you did.  Thank you.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:24 PM