none
database mirroring for SQL server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have set up 2 server with SQL server 2012 on each name DB1 & DB2.

I have backup the instance of DB1 with the transaction log and restore it onto DB2.

Then i right click on the DB1 instance on task and mirror.

"I am in the Configure Database Mirroring Security Wizard, Mirror server instance: 

I get his Principal and mirror  server instances cannot be the same instance of SQL server./

Select another instance as the mirror server instance."

Please advise how to resolve the above message.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 10:07 AM

All replies

• You have connected to same instance for mirror. Like you have DB1 on Inst1 for db2 you need to connect to inst2 and it seems you have connected to Inst1. Please check. Where does DB2 resides, does is resides on Inst1 or some other inst2 ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, June 6, 2019 11:01 AM
  • Hi Shashank,

My DB1 has only 1 DB instances LNSSScanResult12, i have backup the instance and trans log seperately, restore the backup with no recovery on DB2 then restore the trans log with norecovery.

So now at DB2, i connect to DB1 and highlighted the instances LNSSScanResult12 to click on the task -> mirror and click on security and it has the message where i could not complete the part.

DB2 is another virtual server.

• Edited by Noobpie Friday, June 7, 2019 2:32 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Please follow below article and if you face issue please share screenshot

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2464/configure-sql-server-database-mirroring-using-ssms/

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, June 7, 2019 5:32 AM
  • Hi Noobpie,

Please choose DB2 instance as Mirror Server Instance like below screenshot.

You can also follow below steps using T-SQL to configure a database mirroring, please refer to database mirroring.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, June 7, 2019 7:43 AM