MDT 2013 - VLAN Tagging at beginning of Deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• I leave the BDD Welcome screen enabled for our server deployments, so deployment techs can leverage adding static IP Addresses prior to connecting to the deployment server.

Is there a way to add a VLAN tag on the NIC, too?

I tried adding PowerShell to WinPE, but there doesn't appear to be any networking components to it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Friday, May 8, 2015 12:58 PM

Answers

• Solved it!

Created standalone media deployment using RUFUS 2.1 to create a NTFS USB stick that can boot to UEFI.

Inserted PowerShell script just before "Recover from Domain" Task Sequence under "State Restore" section.

Script queries deployment tech for IP Address, Gateway and VLAN ID.

Script then builds NIC Team, assigns VLAN ID, renames NIC Team to proper name (vlan id changes Team name), assigns IP Address, Subnet, Gateway and DNS servers. 

Server is now connected to the network and can properly join the domain with no issues!

Had to modify a few other scripts to pipe deployment tech credentials to perform some domain level operations, but those work great too.

• Marked as answer by IT Dad Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:18 PM

All replies

• If you want to leverage Powershell in WinPE, just add the feature pack in your deployment share properties.

Don't forget to Update your deployment share after you do that. Then update whatever you're booting from with the new boot image.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:16 PM
  • I appreciate your input, but as I stated earlier... Get-NetAdapter and Set-NetAdapter is not found in the PowerShell feature found in WinPE. 

To clarify: It's not an issue of adding PowerShell to the LiteTouchPE_x64.iso, it's a matter of the networking components missing altogether.

Below is a screenshot of all the set- commandlets available, none of which refer to networking.

Any other suggestions?

thanks.

• Edited by IT Dad Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:27 PM added screenshot
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Sorry I missed the part where had already added it. I saw this, although it doesn't help https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1e9de91e-fa70-4e48-b1bb-2495a706113a/winpe-vlan-configuration-osd?forum=configmgrosd

You could try asking Johan http://deploymentresearch.com/About the few times I've need to contact him he's always responded.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Solved it!

Created standalone media deployment using RUFUS 2.1 to create a NTFS USB stick that can boot to UEFI.

Inserted PowerShell script just before "Recover from Domain" Task Sequence under "State Restore" section.

Script queries deployment tech for IP Address, Gateway and VLAN ID.

Script then builds NIC Team, assigns VLAN ID, renames NIC Team to proper name (vlan id changes Team name), assigns IP Address, Subnet, Gateway and DNS servers. 

Server is now connected to the network and can properly join the domain with no issues!

Had to modify a few other scripts to pipe deployment tech credentials to perform some domain level operations, but those work great too.

• Marked as answer by IT Dad Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:18 PM