none
VMs hosted on failover cluster Windows Server 2012 R2 suffers unexpected restart

Question

• Hi,

We have failover cluster 2012 R2 ,which is a 7 node  SOFS cluster and hosts around 200 VMs . yesterday, 2 VMs running on one of the host on this cluster restarted unexpectedly. There are no crash dumps that has been generated on both the VMs.  While looking on the VM logs only previous system shutdown information has been recorded. And while looking on the cluster logs there are no events of deadlock or resource crash that has been found. The only thing I can see is the disk warnings on VM before 3 minuteso f the actual restart "The I/O operation at logical block address for Disk 5 was retired".

Below are the Hyper V logs from the host, please help me on with the error codes of fatal error .Kindly let know to identify what these error codes are actually stating.

"VM has encountered a fatal error.  The guest operating system reported that it failed with the following error codes: ErrorCode0: 0xEF, ErrorCode1: 0xB35E3500, ErrorCode2: 0x0, ErrorCode3: 0x0, ErrorCode4: 0x0."

Also Disk errors were found on the host too,

Hyper V VMMS --> Failed to get disk information 

Are these disk errors might be contributing to the cause of VM restart?

Kindly help me with the error codes of fatal error on VM on identifying the issue.No clue of these error codes and I am burning here with these issues often.Please!!!!!

Thursday, March 02, 2017 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Saranya,

>>Are these disk errors might be contributing to the cause of VM restart?

Probably. Have you checked if there is anything wrong with the physical storage?

Where are the VMs stored on?

Are there any applications running inside the VM?

Is the issue happening again? The issue seems random and difficult to find the cause.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:58 AM
  • Hello Leo, 

VMs are stored on a SMB share that are running on a SOFS cluster,  Those VMs are SQL VMs which runs databases

Can you please let know how to infer any information from the error codes that are under Hyper V- Worker logs.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Hi Saranya,

I'm afraid I could not find any related information about the error codes.

If you want to find the root cause of the random issue, I suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution.
    Here is the link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/contactus81?Audience=Commercial&wa=wsignin1.0

Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 03, 2017 5:29 AM