none
Windows Explorer/explorer.exe crashes even after hours of troubleshooting! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been troubleshooting explorer.exe crashes for the last few weeks.  I have read many of the other threads on explorer.exe crashes and tried most of the different troubleshooting steps, with no success.  So hoping someone here might be able to assist.  Running Win 7 Pro SP1 x64.  Windows Explorer crashes regularly, usually as a result of double-clicking My Computer or other Folder shortcuts located on my desktop.  I can report the following:

-When reviewing the crash reports in AppCrashView or via Action Center, I see that Fault Module Name is StackHash_xxxx (where xxxx is a417, fa09, d638, 3d5b, 7f3f, c1c9, e2b0)
    -Tested RAM modules using MemTest86 - PASS.
    -Ran virus and malware scans - CLEAN.
    -Ran SFC - NO integrity violations.
    -Ran chkdsk /f - NO problems

-When booting in Safe Mode, the problem does NOT occur.
    -When doing a Clean boot (with only MS services loaded) or a Diagnostic startup, the problem still occurs.
    -Ran ShellExView and disabled all non-MS extensions, problem still occurs.
    -Turned off Thumbnails, problem still occurs.
    -Installed HotFixes KB2494427 & KB2638018, problem still occurs.
    -Running Webroot AV.  Uninstalled and problem still occurs.
    -Ran System maintenance troubleshooter and it found no problems
    -Tested with a different user account, problem still occurs.
    -System Restore is not an option as the restore points don't go back far enough.
    -Enabled CrashDumps for explorer.exe and ran dumpchk on them, but don't know how to read them.

Crash Report summary and dump files are posted here.  Hopefully one of you can review the files and will know how to interpret them.
    http://1drv.ms/1PETh6t

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Trying to avoid an OS reinstall.  Thank you!

• Edited by tblazer Saturday, September 19, 2015 3:27 PM
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 8:15 PM

All replies