Cancelling creation of a user-mode process dump doesn't appear to work RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 7 64-bit I followed the instructions in KB article 931673 to create a user-mode process dump. The process was over 2GB in size and when I realised it would take a long time I clicked Cancel.

I expected my machine to become responsive again but instead it remained under heavy load. In the Task Manager process list, I could see the I/O Write Bytes column for taskmgr.exe continually increasing. After about 10 minutes my machine responded normally again.

It appears that Cancel is not really cancelling correctly?

Alex Angas - http://www.alexangas.com/blog
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hello Alex,

I'd be happy to take a look at the memory dump if you need to dump the process again. With regard to the cancel of the dump creation this should work without issues.

Ron Stock - Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Alex,

I understand you’re wanting more information about the cancel process but I was curious why you’re collecting the process dump. Do you have a process that is hanging or causing issues?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Hello Alex,

I'd be happy to take a look at the memory dump if you need to dump the process again. With regard to the cancel of the dump creation this should work without issues.

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:49 PM