none
R2 and CU3 RRS feed

• Question

• If you install R2 for Configuration Manager 2012 SP1,  does it have all of the fixes from CU3?  Just wondering if I need to deploy CU3 before R2 or can I skip CU3 and just go to R2?
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:38 PM

Answers

• Official response: R2 does NOT contain all of the hotfixes contained in CU3 - it contains some of them. The remaining hotfixes will be included in CU1 for R2 (release date unknown - note that you cannot apply CU3 for SP1 after you apply R2).

Official advice: If you use PXE with Multicast you should apply CU3 for SP1 before you apply R2. If you are not you do not need CU3.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Proposed as answer by NPherson Monday, November 11, 2013 2:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce LModerator Monday, November 18, 2013 8:49 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 9:02 AM
  • I was answering the question: "Just wondering if I need to deploy CU3 before R2 or can I skip CU3 and just go to R2?"

To more specifically answer the question about whether R2 contains all of the Cumulative Update bits, the answer according to staff like Wally and my experience is yes. Whether something is called a Service Pack or an R2 is not a product team thing, it is decided by the marketing folks.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Proposed as answer by fern.santos Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce LModerator Monday, November 18, 2013 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:13 PM

All replies

• You can go straight from SP1 to R2.  No, you do not need to install CU3 first.

I hope that helps!

Nash

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:44 PM
  • You can go straight from SP1 to R2.  No, you do not need to install CU3 first.

I hope that helps!

Nash

Nash, I mean no disrespect, but the question is "does R2 include the fixes form CU3". I have been wondering the same.

Gerry said in another post "R2 already contains all the hotfixes from previous CUs"; so I hope he is correct.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/775700a7-7642-4c4b-8a30-033c41ed52df/cu3-before-r2?forum=configmanagergeneral

My assumption was that R releases were just enhancements, where fixes would be in the CU/SP. It sure would be nice to get confirmation if all hotfixes from CU3 were included in R2...

The R2 installer does not check for installed CUs... As long as you have SP1, you're good to go.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:11 PM
  • I was answering the question: "Just wondering if I need to deploy CU3 before R2 or can I skip CU3 and just go to R2?"

To more specifically answer the question about whether R2 contains all of the Cumulative Update bits, the answer according to staff like Wally and my experience is yes. Whether something is called a Service Pack or an R2 is not a product team thing, it is decided by the marketing folks.

• Proposed as answer by fern.santos Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce LModerator Monday, November 18, 2013 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:13 PM
  • The "official" advice seems to be to go straight to R2 without losing any hotfixes. It's not documented though.

"Official" = best advice at Microsoft ConfigMgr event

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:21 PM
  • My assumption was that R releases were just enhancements, where fixes would be in the CU/SP.

Just to clarify, (both Nash and Gerry covered the actual question quite well), this statement is incorrect. The R2/R3 nomenclature has changed over time and has been (unfortunately) used for two different things in Microsoft's history; however, the latest wave of R2 products (including Server 2012 R2 and all of System Center 2012 R2) is much more than just enhancements. They are completely new/updated builds of the products that include published hotfixes, many unpublished fixes, and multiple new features/enhancements and require you to actually upgrade the existing installations -- they are not feature-pack type add-ons in any way, shape or form. Essentially, do not confuse ConfigMgr 2012 R2 with ConfigMgr 2007 R2 -- they have two completely different technical scopes.

The only know hiccup is that if you are not on CU3 when you upgrade to R2 and you are using multicast, you need to disable and re-enable multicast to redeploy the binaries: (covered by Kenny) http://scug.be/sccm/2013/11/04/multicast-enabled-distribution-points-stop-working-after-upgrading-to-system-center-2012-r2-configuration-manager/

To parrot Gerry and Nash, all CU3 hotfixes are rolled into R2 (to our knowledge) -- unfortunately, Microsoft has not released an official statement to this effect. If you must have some sort of official statement, you'll have to work through your support channels.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by fern.santos Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:32 PM
  • It makes sense that R2 would include fixes from CUs, as you can use the same R2 binaries to upgrade an existing SP1 installation, OR to build a new R2 environment from scratch.

With SCCM 2007, the R2/3 was a small add-on package (not used to install a new environment).

Thanks for the info.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Official response: R2 does NOT contain all of the hotfixes contained in CU3 - it contains some of them. The remaining hotfixes will be included in CU1 for R2 (release date unknown - note that you cannot apply CU3 for SP1 after you apply R2).

Official advice: If you use PXE with Multicast you should apply CU3 for SP1 before you apply R2. If you are not you do not need CU3.

• Proposed as answer by NPherson Monday, November 11, 2013 2:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce LModerator Monday, November 18, 2013 8:49 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 9:02 AM

Gerry, thank you for getting us the official answer and the tip for PXE.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:47 PM