Jumplist & %APPDATA% RRS feed

• Question

• Months ago I lost my jumplist & got it back by deleting the prbl file in %APPDATA%\etc.

Lost jumplist again but this time I can't find the %APPDATA% location (with the view hidden files setting on).

What could be the problem here?

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:36 PM

Answers

• I haven’t tried it, but you could move them to a different folder, in say, Documents, to determine which one(s) is/are corrupted. Move them back one by one to detect the file responsible for the problem. The culprit will be the last one moved back that causes the disappearance.

• Marked as answer by Terebinth Monday, October 17, 2011 8:28 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies

• As you say, it is a hidden folder and can be viewed by opening a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), typing %Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and press Enter.

They are stored as a ".automaticDestinations-ms" file. They can be viewed in Notepad but it's a bit garbled and, interestingly, they have differing file sizes. You may be able to determine what they are by looking at the Date Modified.

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Thanks, i found them. Is there anyway to get my pinned programs to work again rather than delete and start all over again?

Terebinth
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:57 PM
  • I haven’t tried it, but you could move them to a different folder, in say, Documents, to determine which one(s) is/are corrupted. Move them back one by one to detect the file responsible for the problem. The culprit will be the last one moved back that causes the disappearance.

• Marked as answer by Terebinth Monday, October 17, 2011 8:28 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Well I tried. None worked. Thank you for your help. At least I can start to rebuild a new list. I've found it very helpful. Just wonder why the problem continues with so many people?
    Terebinth
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:34 PM
  • It may be advantageous if you build one Jump List at a time then look for the file in the AutomaticDestinationsfolder. This should then enable you to identify it in the future. Perhaps create a .txt file adding the name each time you start a new one.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:50 PM