Feture update vs Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

pls... can someone explain to me, what is different between Feture update vs Upgrade?

I red article where author is saying, "Feature updates are technically new versions of Windows 10". 

So my queston is, what is upgrade?

Cuz I have allowed a Fetures update on WSUS server and today I figure out that Windows 1809 are instlling via "Update" to 1903 even if Upgrade class is denied on WSUS... 

It should be this update KB4522355... 

Monday, October 28, 2019 2:56 PM

All replies

• pls... can someone explain to me, what is different between Feture update vs Upgrade?

I red article where author is saying, "Feature updates are technically new versions of Windows 10". 

So my queston is, what is upgrade?

We can understand this as an update that allows the Windows version to be promoted (for example, Version 1809 to Version 1903). The update name is called "Feature updates" and its classification in Microsoft Update is "Upgrades".

If you have approved an upgrade for the following name structure, the client will complete the upgrade if it meets the upgrade criteria. If the upgrade is not required, consider rejecting these upgrades from WSUS.

Cuz I have allowed a Fetures update on WSUS server and today I figure out that Windows 1809 are instlling via "Update" to 1903 even if Upgrade class is denied on WSUS... 

It should be this update KB4522355... 

KB4522355 does not belong to the upgrades we discussed above.
    This is a preview release of monthly quality update. These preview releases contain only non-security updates, and are intended to provide visibility and testing of the planned non-security fixes targeted for the next month’s Update Tuesday release. 
    Simply put, this update will not upgrade your system version, but will fix the current system.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 2:06 AM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/get-started/configure-classifications-and-products

• Critical Updates: Specifies a widely released fix for a specific problem that addresses a critical, non-security-related bug.
    • Definition Updates: Specifies a widely released and frequent software update that contains additions to a product's definition database.
    • Feature Packs: Specifies new product functionality that is first distributed outside of a product release and that's typically included in the next full product release.
    • Security Updates: Specifies a widely released fix for a product-specific, security-related vulnerability.
    • Service Packs: Specifies a tested, cumulative set of all hotfixes, security updates, critical updates, and updates that are applied to a product. Additionally, service packs may contain additional fixes for problems that are found internally since the release of the product.
    • Tools: Specifies a utility or feature that helps to complete one or more tasks.
    • Update Rollups: Specifies a tested, cumulative set of hotfixes, security updates, critical updates, and updates that are packaged together for easy deployment. An update rollup generally addresses a specific area, such as a security or product component.
    • Updates: Specifies a widely released fix for a specific problem. An update addresses a non-critical, non-security-related bug.
    • Upgrade: Specifies an upgrade for Windows 10 features and functionality. Your software update points and sites must run a minimum of WSUS 6.2 with the hotfix 3095113 to get the Upgrade classification. For more information about installing this update and other updates for Upgrades, see Prerequisites for software updates.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Please take a look at my 8 part blog series on How to Setup, Manage, and Maintain WSUS. Particularly part 3, deals with Windows as a Service (WaaS)

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-3-windows-as-a-service-waas-and-group-policy-administrative-templates/

As for why your systems are upgrading - I suspect Dual Scan - https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/dual-scan-making-sense-of-why-so-many-admins-have-issues/

To put it simply, Feature Updates ARE Upgrades - they are just part of the servicing model of WaaS. On the flip side, Cumulative updates are the monthly patches for security and critical updates (and sometimes non-critical updates are stuck in there too).

Preview updates (usually called D updates as they are released in the 4th week of the month) are ENTIRELY TESTED releases of some of next months patches that will be wrapped up into the next cumulative update. These provide early access to specific fixes in case you are requiring them.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:07 AM