none
Why end user entry to compatibility view is getting over-written, IE 11. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have used GPO preference - registry method to add an internal site to compatibility view.

but it has over-written all the end users compatibility view list, infact if I add a new site manually,  it is also getting overwritten in some time.

Please suggest.

• Edited by Beadmin Friday, July 8, 2016 8:14 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 8:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

domains in the enterprise site mode lists over-ride user and gpo compatibility and emulation mode settings.

to determine how the Emulation mode(aka compatibility view) is being set, load the site landing page, then f12>emulation tab. eg. IE8 Enterprise site mode list.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:01 AM
  • Hi Beadmin,

Usually, we add web site to Compatibility View List from IE windows. When we apply from GPO for domain users. We could run “gpupdate /force in DC. Please check the link below how to add web site to Compatibility View List via GPO and A Diagram on How IE8 Determines Document Mode

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/asiatech/2013/10/22/how-to-add-web-site-to-compatibility-view-list-via-gpo/

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 11, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Carl.

I have been following same method (option 1) and comments in article confirms the over-write issue I am facing.

Habanagold
    March 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm
    Solution 1 in not recommended. If a user updates the compatibility setting, it is erased when the next GPO refresh occurs. Talk about unhappy campers and needless support calls.

BG
    March 3, 2014 at 1:09 pm
    The issue with solution 1 is that it overrides any settings on the client machines. While users are able to add their own sites to the Compatibility View list, the sites will be lost next time GP updates.

And looks like second method is not suggested for Win 2012 R2 DC + IE 11, Any other suggestion or method should I try? I want to add few sites to compatibility list and want to allow end users to add more

• Edited by Beadmin Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:26 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:25 AM
  • adding to Rob's earlier mention about Enterprise Mode for IE (EMIE), EMIE is much more flexible than CV and can still be used by users to add sites manually (if desired)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-overview-for-ie11

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:59 AM