none
Microsoft Project 2010 reschedules manually scheduled tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I have several milestones that I created as Manually scheduled tasks as well as giving them a duration of 0 days.  When I link to these milestones project reschedules them.  For example: I have a milestone set for 7/15/14.  If I link a task to that milestone (say completion date is 6/1/14) it changes the milestone to that date.  I need the milestone tasks to remain unchanged.  Everything I've read about manually scheduled tasks and milestones says project will not change them.  HELP!

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:07 PM

All replies

• tlengels --

When you initially link a Manually Scheduled task with a predecessor task, Microsoft Project 2010 will reschedule the Manually Scheduled task to the correct start date.  From that point, the Manually Scheduled task will not move.  If you truly do not want the milestone task to move, you are using the wrong technique by making it a Manually Scheduled task.  Instead, set the task to Auto Scheduled, apply a Must Finish On constraint on the milestone task with a Constraint Date value of 7/15/14.  Then when you link the two tasks, the milestone will not move.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:17 PM