none
Gantt Chart Quarter Display RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a master schedule view, for a big challenge, not a formal project yet, and I would like to show the time scale on Gantt Chart, at the left and right side of the bars for example. I set up the time scale in three levels as Year, Semester and Quarter.

But Gantt Chart only shows dates. I would like to display the year/quarter for each start/finish bar, to show master schedule as a 30K feets view, for example.

Could anyone can help me to fix this?

Thank you!

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot display quater/year as is on the gantt chart bars start/finish dates.

You can customize the dates format from the FORMAT ribbon, layout button. You'll have a diaog box where you can change the link arrow layout and the date format, but the format you want is not part of the default list.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:14 PM
  • That being said, you could display start1/finish1 custom dates on the Gantt chart bar style and have a formula for those 2 local fields to display dates with the required format.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:16 PM
  • Bruno --

Bad news, my friend.  What you what to display for the Gantt bars in the Gantt Chart pane cannot be done using the default features of Microsoft Project.  Apply the Gantt Chart view and then click the Format tab to display the Format ribbon.  In the Format section of the Format ribbon, click the Layout button.  In the Layout dialog, click the Date Format pick list.  The pick list shows you the available date formatting for the Start and Finish dates displayed for each Gantt bar.  Notice that Quarters is nowhere on the list.  Sorry, but hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:18 PM
  • Here is an example on how to calculate in a custom field the date's quarter. You can start from this and adapt the formula.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/calculate-fy-quarter/20ffae15-adc4-427f-8dc8-cd7c3fca262a?auth=1

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:19 PM