none
Skype for business screen sharing freezes RRS feed

• Question

• When joining skype meeting, the screens sharing from other participant is seen as a snapshot to me - if I try rejoining the meeting, only the screen snapshot at the moment of joining can be seen and it never refreshes. The audio and IM works without any problem though. It seems that the issue is only for me and other colleagues do not have the same issue. Through my own research, I found that the same issue was with the earlier version of Skype for business. But the version that I am using now is 16.0.11328.20468, which I believe is the latest version. Is this a known issue or is there any fix that I can try?

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi cuocuo!

In my research, it is not a known issue. So you could try to solve the issue in these ways:

1. Check that you have enough bandwidth to share your screen, and close all applications that may be using your bandwidth or slowing your computer down.
    2. Run command “Set-CsMediaConfiguration -EnableVideoBasedSharing $false” to disabled VBSS.For more details about VBSS policy, you can refer to:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/manage/video-based-screen-sharing

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:03 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this case?
    Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

- The bandwidth is always enough, and it always shows that my connection is very good.

- If I share my screen, other participant does not have any problem to see my screen sharing. The problem occurs only when I see other participant's screen sharing.

- I haven't tried disabling VBSS, but it looks like a work-around and does not seem to be a fundamental solution.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:40 AM
  • As a further update, when I tried "Set-CsMediaConfiguration -EnableVideoBasedSharing $false", I got the following error message:

'Set-CsMediaConfiguration' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 10:51 PM
  • Hi cuocuo!

Thank you for your timely update on this issue!

There are cases when software installers mess up our windows environment variables. When the environment variables get messed up, it could lead to trouble with other programs that share the same environment variable.One such symptom is "command is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Therefore, we recommend you check your program is exist. Once you're sure, you can check the system variable local path in the environment variables. For more details, please refer to:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/is-not-recognized-as-an-internal-or-external-command

In my test , the command can work well.

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Monday, December 9, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hi,
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 11:13 AM
  • The problem still persists.

1. Skype for business shows a message "Your connection is good", but the screen is still frozen at the moment of joining. I can hear the audio without any problem. Also, when I share my screen, people can see my screen without any issue.

2. Still getting an error 'Set-CsMediaConfiguration' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.' 

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:39 PM
  • Hi cuocuo!

Have you tried using another computer to make Skype for Business screen sharing?

If your environment is online, you could try to have an online repair of Office 365.

Besides, you could also clear the cache for Skype for Business to see if it works.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Friday, December 20, 2019 11:30 AM
  • Hi,
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Friday, December 27, 2019 8:50 AM
  • - I have already tried online repair of Office 365 multiple times, but it didn't work.

- I also tried deleting "sip_username@***" under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync, but it didn't resolve the issue either.

In fact, the issue seems to get even worse for some reason. I am getting many different error messages while joining online meeting, including:

-Screen sharing didn't start in time. Please try again.
    -Some sharing features are unavailable due to server connectivity issues.
    -connection is not established.
    -An error occurred during the screen presentation.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:20 AM
  • Cuocuo,

Can you change the below registry value in your system.

Disable VBSS, and then enable Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)-based screen sharing. To do this, make the following change in the registry:

Registry location:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
    DWord name: EnableP2PScreenSharingOverVideo
    Value data: 0

Additionally, if you use the 32-bit version of Skype for Business 2016 on a 64-bit operating system, add the following subkey:

Registry location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
    DWord name: EnableP2PScreenSharingOverVideo
    Value data: 00000000

NOTE: Also, check for the Display adapter driver and update if required as it may cause the screen sharing issue.

Thanks,

Srini

Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:34 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

BTW, I made a weird observation today. It seems that the screen freezing is happening only when the PC is connected to Ethernet. When it is on WiFi, I don't see any issue and the screen sharing works correctly.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:53 PM