none
Networking issue / question

Question

• Have been fighting this for awhile and it was working for awhile, but something seems to have changed so back to the drawing board.

Running Hyper-V on my Laptop, to run labs and test environments, and run into a lot of network issues where I do not get good connection on the VM or lose network connection on my laptop when the VMs are turned on.

Goal I am setting up is multiple VMs using internal switches, and a router vm running PFSense that handles the routing.  For the router VM I figure the best option would be to use the Default Switch for the WAN adapter.

From reading I have heard of issues and needs to disable the "Intel Access Filter driver" check box on the virtual adapters that created on the laptop, but not sure if this has truly helped or not, it seemed to, but being I am again seeing network drops I figure I need to configure something differently.

The reason for the PFSense router, is I am setting up a full environment of VMs (AD, SCCM, client machines), and it handles DHCP for me for the VMs and handles the routing for network boot and all that.

Anybody seen this issue where network constantly drops or gets very slow when setting up VMs, and are there any tips for best way to setup the network connections to avoid this problem when using Hyper V on mostly Wifi.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

May I ask more detailed information such as the completed topology of this Hyper-V environment so that we can narrow down?

How many NICs in the PFSense VM? Which virtual switch mode are they connected? Which physical NIC are used for the virtual switches?   

Based on my experience, it may be a network performance caused by the router VM, we need to place emphasis to check the VM setting.

Here’re the articles discussed optimizing Hyper-V VMs’ performance, hope this helps.

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/best-practices-hyper-v-performance/

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/23-best-practices-improve-hyper-v-vm-performance/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:47 AM
  •   I would not use the default switch. This is already behind NAT. Create an external virtual switch for the WAN side of your pfSense router. I would use private virtual switches, not internal. You do not want the host machine to be part of your test environment. Leave the host with its own network connection.

Bill

• Edited by Bill Grant Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:14 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Michael

Friday, January 18, 2019 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thursday, January 31, 2019 5:03 AM