none
Week numbering discrepancy (Project Pro vs. Excel reports 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A week which is numbered 30 on the timescale in Project Professional 2010 is numbered 31 in the Excel reports built from Business Intelligence (PWA 2010 French version). How can we correct that? I was told that for week numbering Project Professional was ISO compliant.

Thanks

Monday, August 29, 2011 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi WLID1966,

Can you be more specific about which you consider correct - and the actual week you refer to?  I am not aware of any documentation claiming ISO compliance (assume you mean ISO 8601) but for 2011 I think Project Professional does actually use the same week numbering.  Week 1 is the week with the year's first Thursday according to ISO, and I see the same in Pro.   In years where it does make a difference we have suggested workarounds for the OLAP reporting - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2011/01/05/9970163.aspx.  Excel has a weeknum function that is not ISO compiant - and perhaps that is where the difference is coming from - again - actual dates would help.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, August 29, 2011 5:54 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

the first step is modifying MSP_TIMEBYDAY with the provided function. Afterwards use FiscalPeriods for your reports. The step-by-step description starts at "Marc has worked on the first option  and he has created another solution, based on the first workaround we provided, but which uses the Fiscal fields and this now has support agreement from the Product Group."

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi WLID1966,

Can you be more specific about which you consider correct - and the actual week you refer to?  I am not aware of any documentation claiming ISO compliance (assume you mean ISO 8601) but for 2011 I think Project Professional does actually use the same week numbering.  Week 1 is the week with the year's first Thursday according to ISO, and I see the same in Pro.   In years where it does make a difference we have suggested workarounds for the OLAP reporting - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2011/01/05/9970163.aspx.  Excel has a weeknum function that is not ISO compiant - and perhaps that is where the difference is coming from - again - actual dates would help.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, August 29, 2011 5:54 PM
    Owner
  • Hi WLID,

dealing with similar issues ;-). I want to encourage you to follow Brian's suggestion. As he wrote: Excel's weeknum function is not ISO compliant. The same is true for SQL ... Project client is, fortunately. I followed Brian's suggestion some time ago to "correct" weeknumbers and customers are still happy.

Barbara

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

So, if I understand well, I have to use the Fiscal Periods and to run the SQL scripts ?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

the first step is modifying MSP_TIMEBYDAY with the provided function. Afterwards use FiscalPeriods for your reports. The step-by-step description starts at "Marc has worked on the first option  and he has created another solution, based on the first workaround we provided, but which uses the Fiscal fields and this now has support agreement from the Product Group."

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:41 AM