none
GPUpdate /force hangs, no error message, no events

Question

• Pretty much the title. I've been trying to force Group Policy updates on a single machine on my domain, and the process simply hangs while displaying "Updating policy...". I've seen some other gpupdate.exe-related problems on these forums, but they all seem to involve error messages or anomalous events. 

This, however, produces no error messages on the console, not even timeouts. It'll run indefinitely. There are also no events logged during this time, let alone any error events. All the other machines on the domain run gpupdate without incident.

Background: this is a Win 10 box, all the other machines in the OU are Windows 7. I know there were a few GPO-related failures with this machine regarding software deployment (is it even possible to install .NET 4.5.2 on Win 10 machines?), but running gpupdate /force used to complete, at least. The failures would occur during boot. Now the machine seems to have gotten itself into a weird state where I can't force a gpupdate even if I switch OUs or remove the offending policies.

Thoughts?

• Edited by Nic Hite Monday, April 25, 2016 7:09 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tired disjoining this problematic client from domain and re-joining to have a test?

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Please check if the following group policy was enabled in your environment:

Computer policy > administrative templates > System > Group policy > Disable background refresh of group policy

If yes, please try to disable it and check if the issue persists.

Disable background refresh of Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940445.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Hi Alvin,

Thanks for the quick response. I have no policy called "Disable background refresh of Group Policy" applied to any machine on the domain, so it looks like that shouldn't be a problem.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tired disjoining this problematic client from domain and re-joining to have a test?

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:22 AM
  • Yes, I have tried that, but it didn't work.

Meh, I actually ended up just deleting the virtual machine and starting from scratch. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Hi Nic,

Thanks for your reply and glad to hear that your issue was resolved by your self.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

• Proposed as answer by CB420 Friday, April 14, 2017 6:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by CB420 Friday, April 14, 2017 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:50 AM
  • I had same issue with a virtual machine running Windows 7. I resolved the issue by disabling, then enabling the NIC.

Good Luck.

Friday, April 14, 2017 6:36 PM
  • go to install windows services and software and tick the .net boxes it will take a few minutes to update 
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:47 PM
  • This resolved the same issue immediately for me. gpupdate /force seemed to just do nothing, but could be canceled with ctrl+c . Thanks.

Friday, September 15, 2017 7:15 PM