none
Distribution List Managed By in Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team

I have the bulk request for 150 + distribution List wheere the TWO users need an admin access. is there any easy way to do it?

TWO users need to manage the 150 + DL's in their OUTLOOK.

Friday, May 27, 2011 10:26 AM

Answers

• On Fri, 27 May 2011 11:18:18 +0000, rush2ramki wrote:

>Alreday gone throgh the link , but is very usefull for only SINGLE USER and SINGLE Distribution list

The link demonstrates how to give a user permission to modify the
    membership of a group. You need to generalize that.

E.g., create a CSV file with two columns (DL and USER). Put the name
    of the DL into the "DL" column and the name of the user into the
    "USER" column. Then do something like this:

import-csv perm.csv | foreach {
    Add-ADPermission -Identity $_.DL -User $_.USER -AccessRights
    WriteProperty -Properties "Member"
    }

Now you can assign as many users the permission as you like to as many
    groups as you like.

>but i need to grant access two users for mutiple ditribution list .if the see the bottom line of the above link, you may understand

See above and you may understand, too. :-)

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:53 AM

All replies

• You have to use EMS. Multiple users can then be set with the ability to manage the group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc164350(EXCHG.80).aspx

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 10:54 AM
  • Hi Simon

Alreday gone throgh the link , but is very usefull for only SINGLE USER and SINGLE Distribution list

but i need to grant access two users for mutiple ditribution list .if the see the bottom line of the above link, you may understand

Friday, May 27, 2011 11:18 AM
  • There is no easy way to do this in Exchange 2007, it's just not designed to work that way. The link that Simon posted below is really what you have to work with. When I came across this same issue, I started a list of "Reasons to Upgrade to Exchange 2010" and put this at the very top of it. It's a much needed feature which is why RBAC in Exchange 2010 is such a big deal.

From TechNet:

Role Based Access Control (RBAC) is the new permissions model in Microsoft Exchange Server 2010. With RBAC, you don't need to modify and manage access control lists (ACLs), which was done in Exchange Server 2007. ACLs created several challenges in Exchange 2007, such as modifying ACLs without causing unintended consequences, maintaining ACL modifications through upgrades, and troubleshooting problems that occurred due to using ACLs in a nonstandard way.

RBAC enables you to control, at both broad and granular levels, what administrators and end-users can do. RBAC also enables you to more closely align the roles you assign users and administrators to the actual roles they hold within your organization. In Exchange 2007, the server permissions model applied only to the administrators who managed the Exchange 2007 infrastructure. In Exchange 2010, RBAC now controls both the administrative tasks that can be performed and the extent to which users can now administer their own mailbox and distribution groups.

Good Luck!

-Dan

Friday, May 27, 2011 11:34 AM
  • More than one user can have the permission to change the membership. You just need to run the command twice.

The fact that the command only works for one group at a time isn't really a major issue - you just need to tune the script to select the relevant groups for you. That could mean that you have a list of groups in a CSV file that is called from PowerShell.

You aren't going to find a single script that will do everything for you, you will need to write something to do it. However it can be done via EMS quite easily.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:56 PM
  • On Fri, 27 May 2011 11:18:18 +0000, rush2ramki wrote:

>Alreday gone throgh the link , but is very usefull for only SINGLE USER and SINGLE Distribution list

The link demonstrates how to give a user permission to modify the
    membership of a group. You need to generalize that.

E.g., create a CSV file with two columns (DL and USER). Put the name
    of the DL into the "DL" column and the name of the user into the
    "USER" column. Then do something like this:

import-csv perm.csv | foreach {
    Add-ADPermission -Identity $_.DL -User $_.USER -AccessRights
    WriteProperty -Properties "Member"
    }

Now you can assign as many users the permission as you like to as many
    groups as you like.

>but i need to grant access two users for mutiple ditribution list .if the see the bottom line of the above link, you may understand

See above and you may understand, too. :-)

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Hi Rich

Thanks....i will update you ASAP..

Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Rich, The above Shell command works great and Kudos to you .
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:11 PM