Question

• I know the basic order of actions is this:

1-Build new server

2-Change hostname, install updates, Setup Static IP

3-install ADDS

4-promote to PDC

I'm building a test domain using hyper-v VMs

***Questions

What do I put in the static IP address? Do I use the current information from "ipconfig /all"? I know when I get this wrong the domain is broken and can't add clients (i've been successful and failed at this several times and i don't know why...)

What do I put in the static IP address if the virtual switch i'm using is set for internal only?

Do I need DHCP for the PDC? If i do what do i put on each screen for a scope? I know I can put any IP range. I usually just use a x.x.x.100-200 address range since it will be a small list of clients connecting. what do i put for router/gateway and DNS server. I feel like router/gateway should be PDC IP address but not sure. Need some clarification.

Please give an example of what address and info to put and why?

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:51 PM

Answers

• For a private domain you can probably use any addressing scheme you want. If you are going to use an internal vSwitch then there wouldn't be internet access without a route to external. You can leave the gateway blank and just be sure that DC and all members (clients) have the static address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS. For a simple test setup, no a dhcp server is not required.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by altimav8 Monday, May 7, 2018 9:54 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:02 PM

All replies

• For a private domain you can probably use any addressing scheme you want. If you are going to use an internal vSwitch then there wouldn't be internet access without a route to external. You can leave the gateway blank and just be sure that DC and all members (clients) have the static address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS. For a simple test setup, no a dhcp server is not required.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by altimav8 Monday, May 7, 2018 9:54 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

You can manually enter IP address for internal network system, manually assign each system IP address within same subnet or based on your network topology to assign field. 

Or, if there is DHCP server available and your system has available IP address, you can just manually type the TCP/IP parameters based on “ipconfig /all” result.  

Following IP address blocks for use as private IP addresses and usually used for internal network:
    10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

If there several systems, such as no more than 10, then, manually enter TCP/IP configuration on each system is possible. Otherwise, DHCP might be recommended to assign TCP/IP parameters to system automatically. 

Windows Server 2016: Build a Windows Domain Lab at Home for Free:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/36438.windows-server-2016-build-a-windows-domain-lab-at-home-for-free.aspx#Basic_Windows_ServerConfiguration

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 4, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Please click “Mark as answer” if my reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:52 AM