none
No option for "Backup Using Child Partition" snapshot RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using DPM 2010 and Hyper-V. When I go to create a protection group there is no option for Backup using child partition snapshot for some of my servers. I've checked the Intergration versions on the host and the guest machines. The are different versions but we have some servers with diiferent versions that have the Backup using child partition available. I checked to see if the disk are dynamic and they're not. I have some servers that list the Backup using child partition option but once u drill down the check box is missing. I've also removed and re-installed the protection agent, still no go. Servers are 2008 R2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• actually after long investigation i found the solution, all the above option that u mention Michael is true but in the case that i face  this features wasn't the problem and all of them was ok.

my case was when u need to create a protection group you found that new virtual machine or some of them cannot be added to the protection group and the protection group cannot detect the hyper-v feature on cluster level, but on host level you can detect it. it was something very strange as i can detect the settings for others even if they are in the same host.

what i did if i check the license number on the DPM server, and i start the agent coordinator which is set to manual, after some time i detect the hyper-v settings for new VM and the others VM's that wasn't be able to detect them before.

now everything working fine.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:53 AM

All replies

• The TechNet content titled "Conditions When DPM Fails to Back up Hyper-V Virtual Machines in an Online State" at
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637102.aspx lists the following reasons why online backups won't be available.

Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.
    VM has one or more dynamic disks.
    VM has one or more non-NTFS based volumes.
    The VM Cluster Resource Group in a cluster setup is offline.
    VM is not in a running state.
    A ShadowStorage assignment of a volume inside the VM is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.

Monday, April 30, 2012 10:19 PM
  • actually after long investigation i found the solution, all the above option that u mention Michael is true but in the case that i face  this features wasn't the problem and all of them was ok.

my case was when u need to create a protection group you found that new virtual machine or some of them cannot be added to the protection group and the protection group cannot detect the hyper-v feature on cluster level, but on host level you can detect it. it was something very strange as i can detect the settings for others even if they are in the same host.

what i did if i check the license number on the DPM server, and i start the agent coordinator which is set to manual, after some time i detect the hyper-v settings for new VM and the others VM's that wasn't be able to detect them before.

now everything working fine.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:53 AM