none
Running out of rows on Cost tab RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so we keep all of our data going back to about 2004, we've used all the versions of project thus far.  So there are a lot of different rates that have been applied to our resources.  Some of the resources that have been around since 2004 have had so many different rates, that they now exceed the number of rows in the cost tab.  Is there a way to get more rows added to the Cost tab without removing any historical rate information?  Thanks.

Bill

Monday, December 19, 2011 6:40 PM

Answers

• Well Im thinking the issue might be that if those projects are still on the Server if you deleted those old rates the costs of the old projects would change as well. the question really becomes about a process for removing these old projects in a way that leaves enough information for pulling any kind of reporting that is needed.

In cases like this I often recommend building an OLAP cube for the a given time period and then saving the MPP files off as files and then deleting the old projects from the server. Then you can access the schedule from the saved MPP and do reporting via Excel Services from the OLAP cube. After doing this you could easily change the old rate tables and reuse them as needed.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Bill,

You cannot add rows to the cost tabs.  You can start with the other tabs (B, C, D, E) but this also means that you must assign which cost tab the assignment calculates the cost.  If this is the same project, that would be my recommendation.  If you are keeping this for historical information and you are using a resource pool (which I will assume you are) then start with the current rates in a fresh one on January 1, 2012 and archive the other.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in -- but are you using projects that date back to 2004?  Are you using a resource pool?  If you have a resource pool and still have projects from 2004 connected to the pool, I would disconnect from the pool saving the resources locally.  They will retain the costs which were applicable at the correct time.

You can then "clean out" the rates from previous years.

Julie

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:22 PM
  • So why keep 2004 rates? Once tasks are complete, they keep their actual costs even if the rates are deleted. Take archive copies then as Julie says, delete all old rates. This is your only option as extra rows cannot be added.

Deleting and then rebuilding a resource pool regularly is a good idea as Resource Pools have file corruption risks and a rebuild hopefully reduces that risk.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

• Bill,

You cannot add rows to the cost tabs.  You can start with the other tabs (B, C, D, E) but this also means that you must assign which cost tab the assignment calculates the cost.  If this is the same project, that would be my recommendation.  If you are keeping this for historical information and you are using a resource pool (which I will assume you are) then start with the current rates in a fresh one on January 1, 2012 and archive the other.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Thanks Gregg,

We use all the tabs except C.  So adding things to other tabs is out of the question.  How could we archive that cost data?

Thanks so much!

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in -- but are you using projects that date back to 2004?  Are you using a resource pool?  If you have a resource pool and still have projects from 2004 connected to the pool, I would disconnect from the pool saving the resources locally.  They will retain the costs which were applicable at the correct time.

You can then "clean out" the rates from previous years.

Julie

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hey Julie,

Thanks so much for contributing.  As far as the project goes, our resource pool definitely goes back to 2004.  And we've been on MSP since about then.  Also, I know some of our oldest resources are definitely still around and used by the latest schedules.  And their rates are still being updated for use in schedules to this day. 

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:30 PM
  • So why keep 2004 rates? Once tasks are complete, they keep their actual costs even if the rates are deleted. Take archive copies then as Julie says, delete all old rates. This is your only option as extra rows cannot be added.

Deleting and then rebuilding a resource pool regularly is a good idea as Resource Pools have file corruption risks and a rebuild hopefully reduces that risk.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:40 PM
  • You're welcome, Bill.  Does it make sense to remove old rates that you are no longer using?  As Rod says, the rates to do have any effect any longer as they are time sensitive.  I imagine most of your resources have seen a rate change since 2004 :-)

Julie

Monday, December 19, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Well Im thinking the issue might be that if those projects are still on the Server if you deleted those old rates the costs of the old projects would change as well. the question really becomes about a process for removing these old projects in a way that leaves enough information for pulling any kind of reporting that is needed.

In cases like this I often recommend building an OLAP cube for the a given time period and then saving the MPP files off as files and then deleting the old projects from the server. Then you can access the schedule from the saved MPP and do reporting via Excel Services from the OLAP cube. After doing this you could easily change the old rate tables and reuse them as needed.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:21 AM