Softgrid in an "extranet" environment? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this is a bit of a rookie question but I'm trying to figure out if Softgrid or XenApp or something similar might suit what we're trying to do even if it is a bit untraditional.

We need to have an application that can be accessed through the web by our clients.  These clients will already have accounts set up with us, probably on a separate domain from our corporate environment.  The application needs to handle very large files and huge amounts of data that would be unwieldy to process via an ASP.NET application but we already have .NET WinForm apps that do similar tasks.

I am pondering building what we need as a WinForm app, hosting it on Softgrid (or XenApp) and providing access via the web to these clients.  The number of clients at any one time is relatively low but as I mentioned the amount and size of data each will be accessing is huge. 

My questions and concerns relate to printing/IO/file transfer functionality.  If the customer needs to upload a file or download a file using the application on the server to/from their client machine (which by definition will not be on our corporate network) will it be possible?  If not, is is possible to host a softgrid-served application within a control on an ASP.NET page such that non-data intensive functions and these file transfer functions could be conducted "traditionally" while the high-data intensity functions are performed by the virtualized application?

I hope my questions made sense, if not please let me know what I should elaborate on.  All suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Anye
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You didn't told us where those huge amounts of data, that is processed by this application, are living on: on the client's machine or on your network, so my answers/suggestions might not be relevant to your scenario. Anyways:

anyeone wrote:
    My questions and concerns relate to printing/IO/file transfer functionality.  If the customer needs to upload a file or download a file using the application on the server to/from their client machine (which by definition will not be on our corporate network) will it be possible?

App-V (SoftGrid) itself doesn't help or hinder this scenario in any manner, with App-V what you would be doing is basically running that WinForm application locally on the client i.e the application process would be like any other locally running app. So you still need to solve file-transfer etc. with some other means.

Another [huge] issue in this scenario would be of licensing; currently SoftGrid/App-V is licensed on the desktop only via MDOP offering and it does not allow hosting type of scenarios as far as I know.

anyeone wrote:
    If not, is is possible to host a softgrid-served application within a control on an ASP.NET page such that non-data intensive functions and these file transfer functions could be conducted "traditionally" while the high-data intensity functions are performed by the virtualized application?

No, applications running via SoftGrid are executed as local applications so no such option exists. What I would look for is to run SoftGrid -hosted application on Terminal Server and publish those apps like that (with suitable tools you can do webpage -based launching). In that scenario you of course need to evaluate whether you need actual App-V for anything, but that's totally different topic then ;-)

br,

Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:17 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:27 PM