can't re-install WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

We had a running WSUS Server 2012R2 server, but the console stopped connecting (and clients stopped updating) weeks ago. Not being able to find anything stopped services or such, I recalled that an earlier issue was resolved by uninstalling and re-installing WSUS. Ii have tried that a few times today, but the post-installation tasks fail each time. I have uninstalled the IIS role, WSUS role and WID feature, manually deleted the WID folder and the updates locations folders and then tried to re-install. The post installation tasks stops at the IIS configuration section, saying:

2019-12-19 16:00:57  Finished setting multi-user mode
    2019-12-19 16:00:57  Writing DB settings to registry...
    2019-12-19 16:00:57  Marking PostInstall done for UpdateServices-WidDatabase in the registry...
    2019-12-19 16:00:57  Starting service W3SVC
    2019-12-19 16:00:57  Configuring IIS...
    2019-12-19 16:00:57  Start: ConfigureWebsite
    2019-12-19 16:00:57  Configuring website on port 8530
    2019-12-19 16:01:13  System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800710D8): The object identifier does not represent a valid object. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800710D8)
       at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Interop.IAppHostMethodInstance.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Web.Administration.ConfigurationElement.ExecuteMethod(String methodName)
       at Microsoft.Web.Administration.ApplicationPool.Recycle()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UseCustomWebSite.CreateWebsite(Int32 newPortNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.ConfigureWebsite(Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    Fatal Error: The object identifier does not represent a valid object. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800710D8)

Any suggestions as to how I can get WSUS to re-install?

Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is likely an issue within IIS, did you also remove the WSUS site and the application pool when uninstalling WSUS?

Make sure there are no leftovers, once removed run the following commands:

iisreset /stop

iisreset /start

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by lavinrc Tuesday, December 24, 2019 3:16 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is likely an issue within IIS, did you also remove the WSUS site and the application pool when uninstalling WSUS?

Make sure there are no leftovers, once removed run the following commands:

iisreset /stop

iisreset /start

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by lavinrc Tuesday, December 24, 2019 3:16 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:39 PM
  • Hi Lavinrc,

Here are the steps I recommend to remove WSUS and related site and content files, this applies to WSUS using the WID database:

1. Remove the following server roles and features through Server Manager:
      Roles: Windows Server Update Server
      Features: Windows Internal Database, Windows Server Update Services Tools(at Remote Server Administration Tools -> Role Administration Tools)
      Follow the wizard prompts to complete the deletion. Then restart the server.

2. After the server is restarted, manually delete the folder or file of the following path:
      - C:\WSUS (this depends on where you choose to install WSUS)
      - C:\Program Files\Update Services
      - C:\Windows\WID

3. In the IIS Information Services (IIS) Manager, manually remove the WSUS Administration site. Then restart the server. 
      Or, you can also consider using the Powershell command Remove-WebSite -Name "WSUS Administration" for deletion.  

This completes the complete removal of WSUS and related content, and then you can install a new WSUS.
    Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 20, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Thank you Leone!

I followed Yic's suggestions and tried again, but with the same failure message. I then realized that while I had deleted the web site in previous attempts, I had not deleted the App Pool. I tried deleting the admin website *and* the app pool, and then ran the post installation wizard again and it succeeded!

It looks like it is no synchronizing with Microsoft, so I'll see in a day or so how it is running.

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 3:16 PM