none
Rebuild BCD -- bootrec /rebuildbcd is not working -- C:\boot path not found

Question

• I have been trying to rebuild the BCD on my laptop. I was able to run /fixmbr and /fixboot and then when i run /rebuildmbr it finds no windows systems.

Naturally before reposting another article about rebuilding the BCD I googled it. I found that Lifewire had the next steps that I was looking for. In their article about rebuilding the BCD. The article can be found by googling "how to rebuild the BCD lifewire" . However, when I get to the sixth step (adjusting the attributes to c:\boot\bcd) I get an error that says "Path not found - C:\boot."

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get past this? I figure that the boot directory would need to be created, but I am not familiar enough with Windows cmd to continue trying on my own.

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please boot with your original Windows 10 installation media, select the repair mode during the  “install now “ screen. And choose the “Startup repair” option in the Windows Repair Environment.

Type diskpart

Type select disk 0

Type list partition

Then note the partition number where you installed Windows 10.

Type select partition X  (X is the partition number where Windows is installed)

type active

type exit

type bcdboot C:\windows (if C is your windows partition)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:16 AM
  • Worked for me! Thanks you!!
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:25 PM
  • For me, it doesn’t say which partition has Windows 10. It just says Partition ### Type Size Offset Partition 1 System 360MB 1024KB Partition 2 Reserved 128MB 361MB Partition 3 Primary 912GB 489MB Partition 4 Recovery 830MB 912GB Partition 5 Recovery 17GB 913GB Which contains windows 10? Not only that but I tried selecting each one and testing it, but when I type active it says that: The selected disk is not on a fixed mbr disk. The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed mbr disks.
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 3:02 PM
  • Check if setting your BIOS to UEFI helps
    Monday, January 29, 2018 7:00 AM
  • IMPRESSIVE!!! :shock:

You save me man! Thanks a lot!

Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:31 AM
  • Thanks mate...you save my day. 
    Friday, April 6, 2018 3:08 AM
  • Just a side note in case anyone is reading this thread.

Bootrec does not work with any Window 10 version after 14093.

Friday, August 10, 2018 3:35 PM
  • Hi knolage

Take a look at this video and follow the steps

Momominta

Friday, August 10, 2018 6:26 PM
  • takes a deep breath My System: Windows 10 Home Version 1703 OS build 15063.966 Trying to update to version 1803 (KB4340917) The updates continually failed. I literally had the windows 10 upgrade assistant annoying me every time I used my PC. It would automatically try to update and fail during the restart every time. Eventually I went to fix it... the following was the nightmare to the resolution. Put the computer into safe mode and tried removing recent windows updates. Restart and PC won’t boot. Use WIndows Recovery Environment (WRE) from a genuine DVD. Try the startup repair, fails. I forget the error. Also just to add, trying a refresh or reset throws a device is locked message from the WRE. Try command prompt. Run: bootrec /fixmbr - works bootrec /fixboot - works bootrec /rebuildbcd - fails Error is “The requested system device cannot be found” When searching this error forums/others say this is because of USB WRE. Not my issue. Try using Diskpart to set active partition, try to move boot files.. always fails. Try to from System file checker (sfc) running "sfc /scannow" Error :There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. A reboot does not resolve this. Tried dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions I forget the error but something along the lines of disk not available. However when trying to write new directories to the disk in command prompt, I am able to do so. As well as confirm through Diskpart that the drive isn’t read only. I’ve left out a ton of other troubleshooting and commands as I’m writing this after the incident and can’t remember all the commands and errors I recieved, I wish I could to help others more. Eventually the solution was to remove the drive from my PC, connect it to a friends PC and execute the commands.
    • Edited by Soothsayer86 Saturday, August 11, 2018 2:02 PM Errors
    Saturday, August 11, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Hi Soothsayer

>Eventually the solution was to remove the drive from my PC, connect it to a friends PC and execute the commands.

It works for you because your friend PCS have a same configuration like yours. But others cannot do that. Thank you to share your experience.

Momominta

Saturday, August 11, 2018 2:54 PM