How to create click or right click popup Menu (context menu) on text box item of SSRS 2008 report RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement where I need to create the click or right click popup menu on text box item (or column) of SSRS 2008 report. I am facing problems to create the menu, please direct me in this regards to get the solution.

I did some research where I understood we can convert text box report item to HTML-formatted text and as I am showing the SSRS report on Web Application (SharePoint Site/ASP.NET Site), so I can include the JavaScript functions on web page.

I am considering the options to create menu as HTML JavaScript Menu without CSS or HTML JavaScript Menu with CSS or jQuery menu.

Technical Details:

Report Server: SharePoint Integrated mode

Development Tool: BIDS/VS 2008

Front end Application: SharePoint or ASP.NET

I really appreciate your help.

Amit
    Friday, March 19, 2010 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Frankly, we can’t add pop-up menu for a text box in reports of Reporting Services, this is by design. I would like to suggest you submit a feedback on Microsoft Connect Feedback, thanks for your understanding.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:18 AM
  • Thanks for response Chunsong!

You are right this feature is not supported in SSRS 2008. But still I was trying to achieve it somehow, but no luck :) 

In general we can create the basic menu using HTML tags, CSS and JavaScript or we can use jQuery Menu, third party controls, etc…

On SSRS report we can add few HTML tags like <Li>, <Div> but we have restriction to add custom CSS for them. As we understand if we add HTML tag with some ID on SSRS report which is going to execute on SSRS report server, so when it renders on SharePoint page which loads first, Tag ID get changed, due to that JavaScript unable to get the track of tag IDs.

As we know generally in Web application we can access this kind of server side ID using server side code in JavaScript, but for that JavaScript should be the part of same component while execution on server, which will replace the new ID in JavaScript so those ID will accessible at client side.

I have added this request on Microsoft connect as suggestion.

Suggestion on Microsoft Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/543986/click-or-right-click-popup-menu-context-menu-on-text-box-item-of-ssrs-2008-report

Amit
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Frankly, we can’t add pop-up menu for a text box in reports of Reporting Services, this is by design. I would like to suggest you submit a feedback on Microsoft Connect Feedback, thanks for your understanding.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:18 AM

You are right this feature is not supported in SSRS 2008. But still I was trying to achieve it somehow, but no luck :) 

In general we can create the basic menu using HTML tags, CSS and JavaScript or we can use jQuery Menu, third party controls, etc…

On SSRS report we can add few HTML tags like <Li>, <Div> but we have restriction to add custom CSS for them. As we understand if we add HTML tag with some ID on SSRS report which is going to execute on SSRS report server, so when it renders on SharePoint page which loads first, Tag ID get changed, due to that JavaScript unable to get the track of tag IDs.

As we know generally in Web application we can access this kind of server side ID using server side code in JavaScript, but for that JavaScript should be the part of same component while execution on server, which will replace the new ID in JavaScript so those ID will accessible at client side.

Suggestion on Microsoft Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/543986/click-or-right-click-popup-menu-context-menu-on-text-box-item-of-ssrs-2008-report

Amit

You are right this feature is not supported in SSRS 2008. But still I was trying to achieve it somehow, but no luck.

Amit
  • Hi,

Thanks for your valuable feedback on Microsoft Feedback, I voted for it.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:41 AM