Computer CI not showing all of it's information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've noticed that some of our computer CI's discovered using the AD & SCCM connectors aren't displaying all their information.

It's not that it hasn't discovered the information, it's just not showing it.

For example:
    LT20014, initially discovered via the AD connector on 22/04/2010 14:41
    LT20014, initially discovered via the SCCM Connector on 22/04/2010 14:45 - Shows the property change of Active Directory Site being set as the correct AD site.
    I've been right through the history and there's lots of discovery, but nothing more regarding AD site until...
    19/05/2010 - 16:37 - AD Connector - Property Change for Active Directory Site - Again the correct site.

However... If you view the CI either via the quick view at the bottom, open it fully for editing or even just in the CI list, the AD Site is blank.

It's not just the AD site missing, that was just as an example, it's also missing things like IP Address, MAC Address, Operating System version etc even though you can see they were discovered when looking at the history of the CI.
    I can even see Windows XP Pro listed under installed software for the device, but not under the OS for the device on the general tab!

Just to add that it is showing some information, such as Manufacturer, Model, Windows install date, AD SID, last inventory date etc.

Thanks in advance,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:24 PM

Answers

• Bueller? :)

The properties of a computer can be populated out of the box by any of the three connectors we provide - AD, SCCM, SCOM.  Each of the connectors populates different properties.  If the property value is not being populated it's either because there is no value in one of the source systems you are connecting to or it is a property that is populated by a connector you don't have set up yet.

In this case it looks like you don't have a SCOM connector.  The SCOM connector populates properties like IP address, MAC address, OS version, etc.

The MAC address for each NIC is populated via the SCCM connector.  You can see that by going to the hardware tab on the computer form and opening the properties of one of the related network adapters.

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:27 PM
  • We actually added OS version via AD connector in SP1, which is coming soon - we left that out of v1 RTM due to some concerns about performance, which have now been remediated due to other fixes in SP1.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• Anyone?

If this is a bug that anyone else is seeing, let me know and I'll post it on connect.

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:15 AM
  • shameless bump....

Anyone any ideas?

My System Center Blog
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Has no-one seen this at all or am I not explaining it well?
    My System Center Blog
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Bueller? :)

The properties of a computer can be populated out of the box by any of the three connectors we provide - AD, SCCM, SCOM.  Each of the connectors populates different properties.  If the property value is not being populated it's either because there is no value in one of the source systems you are connecting to or it is a property that is populated by a connector you don't have set up yet.

In this case it looks like you don't have a SCOM connector.  The SCOM connector populates properties like IP address, MAC address, OS version, etc.

The MAC address for each NIC is populated via the SCCM connector.  You can see that by going to the hardware tab on the computer form and opening the properties of one of the related network adapters.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Please tell me you're joking?

A simple thing like OS Version, that SCCM collects, is ONLY populated if the device has a SCOM agent installed?

Are we the only people that don't specifically want to monitor 3000+ client devices via SCOM but specifically use SCCM to gather information, VITAL information, such as OS version etc. that is needed for support?

I can understand using SCOM to gather IP as it's always going to have the latest, up-to-date, IP information available.

Now that I'm looking with my eyes open, I can see now that our SCOM monitored servers have quite happily populated all this info, just not our client devices (Desktops, Laptops etc.)

Sorry, this rant wasn't directed specifically at you Travis, I'm just frustrated by this as I can't get my head around the design decision as to why it was implemented in this fashion.  Surely AD would have been the first choice as 99.99% of people that implement SCSM are going to have AD, and OS Version etc. are in AD. SCCM would be second choice as it's an Asset Information gathering tool and SCOM would be the last choice as its primary function is monitoring!

/end rant

/begin rational thought.

I know that a custom SCCM query can be made, question is, could one be made to drag the OS version etc. out of SCCM and populate the correct classes/properties in SCCM so that it's displayed in the same place that the SCOM information is usually?

Thanks in advance,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:14 PM
  • I've unmarked your post as an answer Travis as while I appreciate it is an answer, I'd hate this thread to get overlooked because people think it had an answer that provided a resolution.

If there's no way around this, via custom connectors or another method then I'll re-mark your post as the answer.
    Until then, fingers crossed that someone might be able to think of a solution.

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:57 AM
  • We actually added OS version via AD connector in SP1, which is coming soon - we left that out of v1 RTM due to some concerns about performance, which have now been remediated due to other fixes in SP1.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Now that, is music to my ears!
    Thank you ever so much Marc, and I'm sorry I ranted Travis ;)

Only thing I need to work out now, going back to my original question is why are some devices not showing the AD Site correctly, even though when looking through the history tab you can see the AD Connector discovering it and supposedly changing the value?

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:39 PM
  • That's it Steve- you are cut off!  I'm never going to answer any more of your questions on the forum!   Just kidding.  It's all good. :)  You have to have pretty thick skin to do this job sometimes and I dont take anything personal on here.  On the one hand I don't want to encourage ranting on here cuz it's not nice, but on the other hand it's more entertaining for the readers - that sort of "Jersey Shore" controversy definitely makes for a good show here.  And it let's us know what the really important issues are for people vs. just annoyances or trivial issues.  So - please keep (nicely) ranting as appropriate! :) 

We try to populate the data available from the sources as well as we can.  Sometimes the data simply doesnt exist in the source system.  For example, I honestly don't know if SCCM has a friendly OS Version Display Name or if they just have the version number.  It's also possible that we just missed something.  It's also possible that the data structure in the sourc system makes it tricky - for example, SCOM has a sort of "primary" MAC address defined at the computer level.  SCCM has a MAC adddress for each NIC.  Gathering and merging all this data from different constantly changing sources with different data structures is tricky business! :)

Oh, and apparently we are coming up with some official documentation which describes what data comes from here.  Look out for that soon.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:06 PM
  • No!!! Please no!!!! don't cut me off!! ;)

My "rants" will never cross the line, and will usually be light hearted and like you say make for better reading than a post full of log files (or not depending on your geekiness level).

Like I say, I fully understand that SCOM is a better place to pull IP & MAC Address from as it will always be the freshest information available due to it having to monitor the device.
    It was the OS version that I creased my forehead at due to the fact that it's present in other locations such as AD & SCCM (Yes SCCM contains a friendly display name)

IMHO, moving/adding the data collection for OS to AD in SP1 is a huge relief for me as when I saw your first post I could just picture myself having to explain to management why a simple piece of information wasn't going to be available in the console for our service desk and asset admins.

I think my stress levels are just about returning to normal now, it hasn't helped that I've only just finished a long Microsoft PSS call to get our test environment back online after an errant MP took the data access service out.

Again though, going all the way back to my original post... has anyone any ideas why some devices are not populating the AD Site property, even though the history of the CI shows it being discovered by the AD connector.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any log files or event ID's that I can start looking at?

Cheers,
    Steve "Ranting" Beaumont

My System Center Blog
    Friday, September 24, 2010 4:23 PM
  • I think the first place I would look at is the history.  If it was there at some point and it is not now then in theory there should be a record in the history indicating that the value was set to blank or something.  Anything there??
    Friday, September 24, 2010 4:27 PM
  • /facepalm

I've done it again, gone running off posting threads before doing some due diligence.

Now that I've looked closer at the history tab data, it's plainly obvious why it's not displaying.
    The SCCM Connector is filling in the AD Site property, then the AD Connector is setting it to blank.  Last write wins.

Only question now is, why is the AD connector returning blank information for AD Site?

My System Center Blog
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Same issue :(

SCCM connector runs less frequently than AD connector so that AD site information is always blanked by the last one :( This is a little bit annoying because, in my opinion, a connector should not blank a property if it has already been populated by another one. Or - even better - there should be a kind of "priority" between connectors. Both of them should be nice features that I really hope will be implemented by the next SP or release.

By the way...Coming back to the OS name information not shown on the first tab of the Computer Form...Has anybody ever tried to modify the default Computer Form? I personally made a customization, by using the Authoring Tool, and...

1) I manually added the "Display Name " (or "Display Name (Internal) ") property of the Windows Computer class<-> Hosts Windows Operating System relationship, on the first tab (General) of the form / Operating System section --> result = blank value still returned

2) I manually added the "Display Name " (or "Display Name (Internal) ") property of the Windows Computer class<-> Hosts Windows Operating System relationship, in any other section of the first tab (General) of the form --> result = OS name properly displayed

3) I manually added the "Display Name " (or "Display Name (Internal) ") property of the Windows Computer class<-> Hosts Windows Operating System relationship, in any section on the second tab (Hardware) of the form --> result = OS name properly displayed

So...I could think that there's some inconsistency or bug regarding the default OS name control on the General tab but ONLY inside the Operating System section. There's the proper OS name information for the computer objects (retrieved by SCCM connector, I suppose) but it could not be displayed on that section of the General tab. In fact I tried to drag Display Name property inside the Computer Identity section and...Bingo :) The OS name is shown!

Here's some screenshot to better explain such a strange situation:

http://postimage.org/image/2ea7hx69w/  --> Display Name - and - Display Name (Internal) properties placed on General/Computer Identity
    http://postimage.org/image/2ea95giro/   --> Display Name - and - Display Name (Internal) properties placed on General/Operating System
    http://postimage.org/image/2eaaszv9g/  --> Display Name - and - Display Name (Internal) properties placed on Hardware/Processors
    http://postimage.org/image/2eacgj7r8/   --> Display Name - and - Display Name (Internal) properties placed on Software/Installed Software

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:01 PM
  • I've started a new thread for the AD Site name blank problem as I've noticed the connectors using an AD Attribute that isn't even in our AD Schema.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/connectors/thread/bedbd712-a275-4475-b881-7720c48d3d78

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:49 AM
  • "Oh, and apparently we are coming up with some official documentation which describes what data comes from here.  Look out for that soon."

Did this ever materialize?  And if so, where can I find it?

~DannyRamirez

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Hi Danny,

Check this old blog post of mine:

http://systemscentre.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/service-manager-connectors-what.html

At the bottom I've got a couple of links to some MS Documentation on the connectors, which information they comprise of and where they get it from including the corresponding properties.

Hope that helps!

My System Center Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for the info!

~DannyRamirez

Friday, August 3, 2012 8:48 PM