Displaying multi line values (presentation) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm building an MP and some of the properties within the class contain data which is multi line information.  This data is displayed as one line in the State View.  I'm wondering how do I get this to display as a list of items.  As an example, lets say I was enumerating a file with 5 entries, (one entry per line) or enumerating local users on a Windows system.  How do I get this output to display as a list.  Typically I don't know the number of items in the list. 

Example File contents:
    Red
    Blue
    Green
    Yellow
    Black

Example Class property info:
    Name: FileContents
    DisplayName: File Contents
    Type: string

Example file output within StateView:
    File Contents      Red Blue Green Yellow Black

Example How I want it displayed:

File Contents Red
      Blue
      Green
      Yellow
      Black

Any assistance with this would be great, i.e. I should be using a different view or the property type is incorrect or I need to add return characters to the string. 

Also, I see on the webconsole the property called "IsHostingMSCS" which appears to be multi line information and I think this is a part of the Microsoft Cluster Management pack but I can't see how they display it.  However, I don't see this property in the thick client.   

• Edited by Blancanales Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:35 PM additional data
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:28 PM

Answers

• First thought is "no, wasn't designed for this".  A property that displays a current list of users is going to generate config churn in the system

Second thought is to try the cr/lf characters in your string.  If these are text fields, it may wrap, but I would expect it to ge truncted howe

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:42 PM

All replies

• First thought is "no, wasn't designed for this".  A property that displays a current list of users is going to generate config churn in the system

Second thought is to try the cr/lf characters in your string.  If these are text fields, it may wrap, but I would expect it to ge truncted howe

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:42 PM
  • As far as I know, the state view in the operations console does not support multiline not even with cr/lf charachters forced (well at least for the description field, that's the one I have tested).

But perhaps the webconsole does some "special" things with html characters (like <br>). But check the one you think is correct if it is not just a "wrap around" due to the size of your display.

Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Thanks Dan and Mark for your responses.  I wanted to add that it doesn't matter if its a state view or other type of view, just can it be done in any view in the presentation area.    Like as an example if you view the task status page and select an item there I see multi-line data displayed in the Details with some other structured one liner items.  This is generally the format I'm looking for. 
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:49 PM
  • THis is a faithful rendering of the task output (an ascii file via stdout). 
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:00 PM