Cannot Delete Global Navigation Item or Heading RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a SharePoint Server 2007 site with Publishing Infrastructure and Publishing turned on. I added a link to the Global Navigation section in the Navigation Editing and Sorting section of Site Navigation Settings. I now would like to get rid of the link (item) but when I highlight, click Delete, and OK, it is removed from the list but then as soon as I go to the home page, the tab is still there. Going back into the site settings for navigation shows the item again listed under the Global Navigation.

I can remove every item except the last item.  For example, I can add a new fake item and then remove the real item - but then can't remove the last item.  So it seems the issue is not specific to the item, but the fact that it is the last item in the "Current Navigation".

What can I do to remove this extra Global Navigation item?  As it stands, my top link bar appears like this, and I cannot delete the 'test' tab.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is a known issue that when you create a SharePoint Server 2007 subsite, you set the Use the top link bar from the parent site? option to No. In this subsite, you can add links and delete links under Global Navigation. However, you cannot delete the last remaining link. The issue has been fixed in kb953138: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953138

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is a known issue that when you create a SharePoint Server 2007 subsite, you set the Use the top link bar from the parent site? option to No. In this subsite, you can add links and delete links under Global Navigation. However, you cannot delete the last remaining link. The issue has been fixed in kb953138: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953138

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:22 AM
  • But in this case, it's a top-level site collection... so there's no option to use (or not use) the top link from the parent site.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:34 PM