none
Windows 10 does not recognize SSD as SATA3 RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon everyone

I wanted to share a problem that has occurred to me, and whose solution escapes my knowledge.

I have installed a Toshiba thnsnf256gmcs 256Gb MLC SSD that according to the manufacturer should work at 6Gb/s on an HP Prodesk 400 G1 computer. I have used a SATA cable marked 6Gb / s and I have plugged it into one of the two ports that have the motherboard identified according to the manual as SATA3 (SATA III, SATA 6Gb/s, SATA 600, ...) and for systems primary storage (dark blue). I have also left the old Seagate 500Gb HDD plugged into the other SATA3 port on the board, in which the HP manual indicates that it is the port recognized as for secondary storage systems (light blue).

Then I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on the SSD. And at the end I detected that the boot speed was almost the same as with the HDD, so I passed the CrystalDiskMark tool, giving results of 215 of reading and 152 of writing. As it was not expected I began to check that the BIOS had activated the AHCI, and that I did not need a driver or that had to update it, first using the "Device Management" of the "control panel" and then passing the DriverEasy and update everything that could have to do with storage systems or the transmission speed. I confirmed on the HP website that the BIOS was outdated, and updated it, and also downloaded "Intel (R) Rapid Storage" storage device management software. This software has indicated to me that my SSD is working with a transmission speed of 3Gb/s and my HDD is working at 6Gb/s ...

In case it was a Hardware problem, I have exchanged the ports to which they are plugged, the SATA cables and the power cables, without result. There is also no change if I leave only the SSD and unplug the HDD.

I am open to any suggestion you can contribute.

Thank you!
    Friday, November 29, 2019 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• What do you find in BIOS?

What happens if you connect your Hard Disk on another system?

I shall suggest you to run Toshiba SSD Diagnostic utility

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Marked as answer by Pafnucio Monday, December 2, 2019 8:37 AM
    Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:01 PM
  • Hello S.Sengupta

Thank you for your answer.

I hope this BIOS information will be useful, otherwise, tell me what you need

(OK, This website does not allow me to upload images so I will type it by hand )

STORAGE > DEVICE CONFIGURATION >
    HARD DISK
    SATA0 256 GB. TOSHIBA THNSNC256GBSJ     <-- WHAT?? It's not the same as I read in the case
    SATA1 500 GB. ST500DM003-1BD142

Good idea. I will connect this SSD to another pc and see what happens.

About the Toshiba SSD tool, I tried the latest version but it doesn't recognize my SSD, I think it's because this SSD is not a commercial version. But, why not, I will try the rest of previous versions that they have on the website.

Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 2, 2019 2:41 AM
  • Thank you.

I am waiting to connect the SSD as a second storage device on another PC, but I am almost sure that the "problem" is the SSD model that indicates the BIOS that I have installed. Most sources (but not all) indicate that the transfer speed of it is SATA 300 - SATA2 - SATA II - SATA 300Gb/s, which coincides with the speed at which Windows 10 has set it by default.
    Monday, December 2, 2019 8:37 AM