Having trouble installing IIS on Vista Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm having difficulty installing IIS on Vista Home Premium.

Taking some direction from other posters on the web, I tried both the Control Panel installation as well as the script-based installation, but neither one is working.  

The Control Panel installation fails with the same error previous posters have encountered; the script-based installation just returns a command prompt with no error message.

As suggested in other postings on the web, I should have an IIS7.log file, but I'm guessing the installation just doesn't get that far as no such file exists anywhere on my hard drive.

I have taken a look at the CBS.log file and found the following entries of note; they are the final entries in the file:

2009-03-09 19:38:22, Error                 CSI    00000010 (F) STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER #3723830# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CFile_IRtlFileTearoff::SetAttributes(Attributes = 2048 (0x00000800))[gle=0xd000000d]
    2009-03-09 19:38:22, Error                 CSI    00000011@2009/3/9:23:38:22.625 (F) d:\rtm\base\wcp\sil\silp.h(2661): Error STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CFile_IRtlFileTearoff::SetAttributes expression: Valid flags check failed: Attributes
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2009-03-09 19:38:35, Info                  CSI    00000012 Error STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER while executing operation SetFileInformation on [l:138{69}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\schema\FX_schema.xml, N/A, N/A"

2009-03-09 19:38:40, Info                  CSI    00000013 Creating NT transaction (seq 2), objectname [6]"(null)"
    2009-03-09 19:38:40, Info                  CSI    00000014 Created NT transaction (seq 2) result 0x00000000, handle @0x8ac
    2009-03-09 19:38:40, Info                  CSI    00000015@2009/3/9:23:38:40.999 CSI perf trace:
    CSIPERF:TXCOMMIT;6
    2009-03-09 19:38:41, Info                  CBS    Failed removing impactful-commit disabling value from CCP. hr: 0x80070002
    2009-03-09 19:38:41, Error                 CBS    Exec: An error occurred while committing the transaction, the transaction has been rolled back.
    2009-03-09 19:38:41, Info                  CSI    00000016@2009/3/9:23:38:41.050 CSI Transaction @0x6e64280 destroyed
    2009-03-09 19:38:41, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.6000.16386, status: 0x80070643, failure source: Execute, start state: 7, target state: 7
    2009-03-09 19:38:59, Error                 CBS    Pkgmgr: Failed installing selectable updates for: Windows Foundation, hr: 0x80070643
    2009-03-09 19:38:59, Info                  CBS    Exec: Processing complete.  Session: 29991183:1025337361, Package: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.6000.16386, hr: 0x80070643
    2009-03-09 19:38:59, Info                  CBS    Exec: End: nested restore point - complete.
    2009-03-09 19:38:59, Info                  CBS    Restored system sleep block state: 0x80000000
    2009-03-09 19:38:59, Info                  CBS    Session: 29991183:1025337361 finalized.  Reboot required: no
    2009-03-09 19:38:59, Info                  CBS    Pkgmgr: return code: 0x643
    2009-03-09 19:41:57, Info                  CBS    Scavenge: Package store indicates there is no component to scavenge, skipping.

I am unable to find the file highlighted above.  The machine I am using is a Gateway laptop; perhaps Gateway's build of Vista is part of the problem?

I'm absolutely stuck and will need to install Microsoft CRM in support of a client development effort this week... any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Chuck
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:18 AM

Answers

• Hello,

First of all, let us confirm what caused of the problem.

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Program and Feature and click Turn Windows feature on or off; try installing ANY feature except for the IIS Web Services. If we could not install that feature as well, it should be a Windows Vista issue and you might refer to the following webpage to solve the problem.

http://aaronwl.com/research/cs/os/windows/bugs/vista_features_fail.htm

Otherwise, it should be an IIS installation issue and it is recommended that you post the issue in Microsoft IIS Discussions Group. They mainly focus on Microsoft IIS question and problem.

Discussions in IIS General

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.inetserver.iis&cat=en_US_02ceb021-bb43-476d-8f8f-6c00a363ccf5&lang=en&cr=US

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is so you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your time and understanding!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, March 20, 2009 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:21 AM
  • Hello,

If you are unable to install any feature properly on your computer, let us continue with the following steps to narrow down the problem.

Install feature in Windows Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Then we might try running the System File Checker, which might help to recover the corruption of the systems files.

1) Click Start button, copy and paste "cmd" (without the quotation marks); in the above Programs list, right-click the cmd icon and select Run as administrator.

2) In the Command window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

3) After the scan has completed, remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

If the problem persists, we should repair Windows Vista.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1) Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2) Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3) Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4) Click Repair your computer

5) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7) (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

First of all, let us confirm what caused of the problem.

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Program and Feature and click Turn Windows feature on or off; try installing ANY feature except for the IIS Web Services. If we could not install that feature as well, it should be a Windows Vista issue and you might refer to the following webpage to solve the problem.

http://aaronwl.com/research/cs/os/windows/bugs/vista_features_fail.htm

Otherwise, it should be an IIS installation issue and it is recommended that you post the issue in Microsoft IIS Discussions Group. They mainly focus on Microsoft IIS question and problem.

Discussions in IIS General

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.inetserver.iis&cat=en_US_02ceb021-bb43-476d-8f8f-6c00a363ccf5&lang=en&cr=US

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is so you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your time and understanding!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:21 AM
  • Andy,

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I do not have any language packs installed, so there's nothing for me to uninstall.  On the Keyboards and Languages tab of the Regional and Language Options dialog, I do not have the Display Language panel.  I am interpreting this as not having any language packs installed.

As it turns out, I am having difficulty turning on any new features, not just IIS.

As per your response above, I tried to install the following features (individual attempts for each bullet) all of which also failed:
    • Simple TCPIP Services
    • MSMQ
    • Windows Process Activation Service

While I was not able to successfully install anything, I was able to successfully uninstall Tablet PC Services... I'm not running a tablet and turned that off in an attempt to reduce any possible conflicts.

Of note is that since my original posting I did some more research on one of the error messages in my CBS.log file.  I found a posting by a user encountering the same error message.  They were able to eventually succeed in installing IIS and had found that attempting to install IIS with their winsxs directory compressed was the root cause of their problem.

Until I had need to install SQL Server (currently installed and running on the same machine where I'm experiencing this problem), I was running this machine with the entire drive compressed.  SQL's need to run in an uncompressed directory led me to uncompress the entire drive.  Ever since, I have not compressed anything on the drive at all.

The entire drive has always been uncompressed during every attempt to install IIS, but I can't help but wonder whether something might have gone wrong during the uncompress process and the result is the problems I'm encountering.

As I am having issues turning on any new Windows features (not just IIS) and that I'm not a big fan of cross-posting, I think it's appropriate we continue to discuss this issue here in this thread, though I'm happy to post a similar note to the IIS newsgroup if you feel it would help.

While it would be great to solve the entire problem, my most pressing need is for IIS.

Thanks,
    -Chuck

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:58 AM
  • Hello,

If you are unable to install any feature properly on your computer, let us continue with the following steps to narrow down the problem.

Install feature in Windows Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Then we might try running the System File Checker, which might help to recover the corruption of the systems files.

1) Click Start button, copy and paste "cmd" (without the quotation marks); in the above Programs list, right-click the cmd icon and select Run as administrator.

2) In the Command window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

3) After the scan has completed, remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

If the problem persists, we should repair Windows Vista.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1) Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2) Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3) Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4) Click Repair your computer

5) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7) (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:05 AM