none
Power Query MSI with MST will not deploy via Group Policy Software Installation RRS feed

• Question

• After many attempts, I cannot get the PowerQuery_2.18.3874.242 (32-bit) [en-us].msi to deploy via Group Policy Software Installation.  This is even after creating an MST to apply the ACCEPT_EULA=1 property.  Now, the combination of MSI and MST by command line msiexec works fine in different ways, even ways that emulate how Group Policy Software Installation functions.  I've never had this type of issue happen before and I've extensively used MSIs and MSTs via AdminStudio and InstallShield.

Here's some scenarios I've tried:

1.  Group Policy Software Installation Deployment - MSI + MST : Fails.  With Error 1603.

2.  Group Policy Software Installation Deployment - Directly Modified MSI (with ACCEPT_EULA property added and/or launch conditions removed)  : Fails.  With Error 1603.

3.  Local command line "msiexec /i MSI /qb TRANSFORMS=MST"  :  Succeeds.

4.  Local command line "msiexec /i Modifed MSI /qb"  :  Succeeds.

5.  psexec remote computer under LOCAL SYSTEM account  "msiexec /i MSI /qb TRANSFORMS=MST"  with and without an active user logged in: Succeeds.

I've done logging various ways, but I cannot get any useful msiexec logging information via the Group Policy Software Installation Deployment, no matter what I've tried to turn of such logging.  I've done various MST's to modify the install.  I've directly modified the MSI to remove various check conditions and simplify the MSI to just install the product.  There seems to be something about this MSI when it comes to deployment via Group Policy Software Installation environment.  I've never had anything put up this much of a fight before.

What is wrong with this MSI?

EDIT:

Further investigation from a random clue I found, I've found that the Power Query MSI for the version mentioned is completely missing the Advertisement sequence.  And from what I've researched, this makes the MSI completely useless for Group Policy Deployment in any way shape or form.  Is there are proper version I can get access to that has this sequence?

• Edited by Lakstoties Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:57 AM New Information
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:11 AM

Answers

• We had an issue with deployments where advertisements caused the downgrade failure scenario to leave the install in a bad state.  Our fix at that time was to remove the advertisement sequence. Can you force the Group Policy Deployment to directly install instead of advertising?

-jeff

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:14 PM

All replies

• We had an issue with deployments where advertisements caused the downgrade failure scenario to leave the install in a bad state.  Our fix at that time was to remove the advertisement sequence. Can you force the Group Policy Deployment to directly install instead of advertising?

-jeff

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:14 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm running into the same issue. Had same problem trying to deploy Power BI Desktop, but setting the "ACCEPT_EULA" flag equal to "1" actually allowed that product to install. No such luck with the Power Query add-in.

Shaun

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Same, Any solution?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:35 PM
  • How is this achieved? I'm having the exact same problem as the OP.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:16 PM
  • I ended up creating a Startup script in group policy. Just a simple batch file with the line:

msiexec /i "\\server\share\PowerQuery_2.33.4337.481 (64-bit) [en-us].msi" /q ACCEPT_EULA=1

I will add additional code to create a "log" file after installation, then have the script check for the existence of that file before running so that it doesn't install every time the computer starts up.

Shaun

• Proposed as answer by Shaunm001 Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:58 PM