Windows 10, remove apps Startmenu, Taskband RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

how can we configure the startmenu without XBOX or Games during deploy???

we add a powershell tasksequence to remove apps during Setup (as Administrator).

Get-AppxPackage *Soli* | Remove-AppxPackage

etc.

After a new User logon they have all removed apps (xbox, solitare etc)???

Chris

Thursday, October 15, 2015 5:44 AM

Answers

• That's easy, you can just create your own start menu layout.

From a computer that already has Windows 10 with all the apps/programs you would normally deploy, create a start menu layout complete with group names if you want to name them. Then run the following from an Admin command prompt:

powershell Export-StartLayout -Path C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\LayoutModification.xml

You can then import the layout into the image one of two ways.

1.) Import layout after capturing the image

dism /mount-image /imagefile:"C:\Deployment Share\Captures\win10x64.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mount

powershell Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath "C:\Custom\LayoutModification.xml" -MountPath "C:\Mount"

dism /unmount-image /mountdir:c:\mount /commit

2.) Edit your TS for building a reference image and have the file copied during the build.

xcopy LayoutModification.xml %systemdrive%\users\default\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

I used method 2, because I already had a batch file that copies over themes, so I just added the command to copy the layout file.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by -- Chris -- Thursday, October 15, 2015 3:05 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:34 AM
  • What do you mean by taskmenu?

As for the Themes I use the following command

xcopy Themes\*.* %systemroot% /E/C/F/Y

In the same folder as the batch file for applying the start menu I have a Themes folder. Inside of that is a "Web" and "Resources\Themes" folder. In those folders are the needed theme files, exactly what you would copy from Windows\Web and Windows\Resources.

Web will have the wallpapers and Resources\Themes will have the .theme files

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:45 AM
  • Oh ok. You can set that in the unattend file, but do that to the task sequence that deploys Windows to clients and not on your reference image.

For example: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:00 PM

All replies

• That's easy, you can just create your own start menu layout.

From a computer that already has Windows 10 with all the apps/programs you would normally deploy, create a start menu layout complete with group names if you want to name them. Then run the following from an Admin command prompt:

powershell Export-StartLayout -Path C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\LayoutModification.xml

You can then import the layout into the image one of two ways.

1.) Import layout after capturing the image

dism /mount-image /imagefile:"C:\Deployment Share\Captures\win10x64.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mount

powershell Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath "C:\Custom\LayoutModification.xml" -MountPath "C:\Mount"

dism /unmount-image /mountdir:c:\mount /commit

2.) Edit your TS for building a reference image and have the file copied during the build.

xcopy LayoutModification.xml %systemdrive%\users\default\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

I used method 2, because I already had a batch file that copies over themes, so I just added the command to copy the layout file.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:46 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:34 AM
  • thanks you very much for your answer.

this is the first answer that works fine for startmenu. We spend more than 10 hours to find a solution.

how can we do this for taskmenu?

how do you do it for themes. Is there alltough a XML file

Chris

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:18 AM
  • What do you mean by taskmenu?

As for the Themes I use the following command

xcopy Themes\*.* %systemroot% /E/C/F/Y

In the same folder as the batch file for applying the start menu I have a Themes folder. Inside of that is a "Web" and "Resources\Themes" folder. In those folders are the needed theme files, exactly what you would copy from Windows\Web and Windows\Resources.

Web will have the wallpapers and Resources\Themes will have the .theme files

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:45 AM
  • sorry, in english taskbar or taskband

Chris

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:49 AM
  • Oh ok. You can set that in the unattend file, but do that to the task sequence that deploys Windows to clients and not on your reference image.

For example: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:00 PM
  • is it posible to remove edge app during deploy?

Chris

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:55 PM
  • Dan,

can you test a little Thing for us?

If we add Microsoft Internet Explorer export-startlayout with powershell and xcopy LayoutModification.xml %systemdrive%\users\default\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell to this Folder startmenu are not correct? Is this a Internet Explorer Problem?

Chris

Monday, October 26, 2015 7:19 AM
  • I've already tried that before and I couldn't get IE to stick either. It wasn't a big deal for me because my boss would rather IE go away, so I just pinned Edge, Chrome and Firefox to the start menu.

Monday, October 26, 2015 1:30 PM
  • If we pinned IE to Startmenü it doesn't work? don't ask me why?

Chris

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:02 AM
  • FYI I found a good script that works with Windows 10 to remove apps. The script was written by Ben Hunter

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2013/10/21/removing-windows-8-1-built-in-applications.aspx

Just change the "AppsList" to that of the Windows 10 apps you want to remove.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:53 PM