USB port failure Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

Okay so we have a Dell Inspiron 1420 running with an Intel Core2 Duo. so yesterday myy sisters tried hooking their iPods up into the computer to sync to our iTunes; i hooked my Nano up as well and we got the ever annoying  'ipod is corrupted it needs to be formatted or you can try disconnecting and reconnecting again' message. Well i did that.... 5 times, i manually reset my iPod every time. i finally hit format and resort and it went through and did so, THEN i got the exact same message with other messages about Windows Media player stopped working and the Microsoft sync center stopped working as well. so i did a system restore on the comp to about a week ago. so i let the computer do its thing and restore back to the latest GOOD log in. So i go to plug in my iPod and i get the SAME corrupted message again. I go into My Computer and click on my iPod and it says it needs to be formatted in order to be used... well there was no way i was going to clear it again. Thinking it may have just been the cord i had my friend let me borrow his iPod cord and we still got the same thing BUT it worked fine on any other computer, even with my cord. So then i got curious and plugged in my Jump-drives/flash-drives/thumb-drives/USB-storage-drives and my external hard-drive to see if it effected those as well and it did. every time i went to open one of my drives it said 'drive needs to be formatted in order to be used' well i wasnt going to do that either. it even effected the drive for our SD card too! so i came on here and followed the advice given here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/9fdf84f8-7121-4716-a81d-820c8581933b where the second post says to go into the device maneger because i dont know where to go for the registry or how to use it, and i know THAT needs a good cleaning too. so i went though and uninstalled each of the USB ports as Stated and now i'm stuck without USB ports... i need help... I may have the IC3 but i'm still an idiot when it comes to this stuff hahaha I should just stick to MultiMedia where i belong haha.

Thanks for the help,

Jake

Friday, April 29, 2011 4:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest reloading the USB controller drivers.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, the root cause should not be the system. I suspect that the USB controllers are not compatible with Windows Vista. You need to access the download webpage of your computer or motherboard, and download Windows Vista compatible motherboard chipset and USB controller drivers. After installing the drivers the issue should be resolved.

For your reference, visit http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1420&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False and download the Intel driver to check it out.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:01 AM

All replies

• Since you uninstalled your USB device, i suggest you visit your manufacturer's website, go to the download section and search for your model, download and install all USB and USB controller drivers.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest reloading the USB controller drivers.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, the root cause should not be the system. I suspect that the USB controllers are not compatible with Windows Vista. You need to access the download webpage of your computer or motherboard, and download Windows Vista compatible motherboard chipset and USB controller drivers. After installing the drivers the issue should be resolved.

For your reference, visit http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1420&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False and download the Intel driver to check it out.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:01 AM