none
DPM Protection of Windows 7 'Libraries'? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Im looking at using DPM 2010 to protect roughly 3000 laptops running Windows 7.  But I have a few questions regards its capabilities:

• First question I have is whether or not DPM 2010 is able to protect Windows 7 'Libraries' and if so, how this achieved?
    • What does the AD integration of DPM enable with regards to Client Protectio? (security implications for restores?)
    • How does DPM Client agent handle a shutdown if DPM is in the middle of a Sync \ backup?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Andrew

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

1. Yes, the Windows 7 "Libraries" can be protected when you set up the protection group. They can be included or excluded by using the Create (or Modify) Protection Group wizard. I believe you still see the older My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc terms, but the path should be the same for the Windows 7 Libraries (My Documents = Documents Library).

You can also specify custom paths to any location you want to protect on the clients.

2. I believe you are referring to the schema update. This is not required for DPM Client Protection. It is required if you are wanting to enable End User Recovery of files located on a file server protected by DPM

3. The job will fail and won't restart until the next time it is scheduled to run. If the client is not able to reach the DPM server at the time it is scheduled to run a job (off the network), it make local shadow copies that the user can use to recovery files usng the "Previous Versions" functionality.

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Tiernan Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:38 PM