Interpreting MessageTrackingLog RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am troubleshooting an issue with a script that is used to send out email messages.  The script actually runs on the Exchange 2016 server itself.  The server receives the message, but never sends it out.  Where can I find information about how to interpret the message tracking logs?

There is an event id called Agentinfo.  In the recipients field, it has {} , what does this mean?

JScott2

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi JScott2,

As far as I know, this parameter indicate that this recipient cannot be find when categorize, do you try to send email to other mailboxes?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by JScott2 Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi JScott2,

Here is information about parameters in Message Tracking Log: 

Message tracking  

Here is detail information about Event ID:

Event types in the message tracking log 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Thank you, but the documentation doesn't say anything about what {} means.

Here is what it shows when searching the message tracking logs using PowerShell:

EventID          Source          Sender                                   Recipients

RECEIVE         SMTP            emailaddress@domain.com      distrogroup@domain.com

AGENTINFO    AGENT           emailaddress@domain.com      {}

Again, the message is received fine on the Exchange server itself, and the smtp receive logs show the message as looking good, and as being added to the Queue for delivery.  However, if I look in the Queue, the message never shows up.  It never gets sent out to the recipients or even leaves the Exchange server.  

Comparing the message above with other messages that go out successfully, they all have the recipients email address in that column instead of {}

Thanks,

Jscott2

JScott2

Monday, March 25, 2019 1:51 PM
  • Because some agent such as transport agent or spam filter agent removes recipients from this email.

You can add "| fl" after the command you used. Such as:

Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Recipients userb@domain.com -Sender usera@domain.com -MessageSubject "test3/26" | Sort-Object Timestamp | fl

In the result of this command, you will know which agent works on this email.

If you doesn't familiar with Message Tracking log, you can send it to this mailbox(ibsexc@microsoft.com), we will analyse it for you.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 5:23 AM
  • Thank you so much, so when adding | fl to the command it does give more information. 

There is a line in there that says:

SourceContext    CatHandleFail

I'm not sure what that means?  I will email the address you posted.  

Thanks,
    JScott2

JScott2

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:38 PM
  • Hi JScott2,

As far as I know, this parameter indicate that this recipient cannot be find when categorize, do you try to send email to other mailboxes?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

• Marked as answer by JScott2 Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Kyle,

Thanks for that information, that's what I needed to know.  

Yes, it works sending to individual mailboxes, but not to the distribution group we are sending to.  It does work sending to that distribution group from a script on the old Exchange 2010 server, same script.  I have a suitable work around in place now, so I will mark the answer as fixed.  I adjusted the script to send directly to each individual that was a member of the group.  user1@domain.com, user2@domain.com, user3@domina.com, user4@domain.com.  

Thanks,

JScott2

JScott2

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:17 PM