Had to reinstall windows xp. Try to activate but am unable to. RRS feed

• Question

• I had to reinstall Windows XP Home on my laptop. It says that I need to activate within 30 days which I was expecting that to come up after reinstalling, but when I enter the Product Key it comes back as invalid? I tried calling the activate over the telephone number but it is an automated system that does nothing as far as helping.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:08 PM

All replies

• Without a valid Product Key there is no way to activate Windows!  You must have a valid Product Key.

Where did you get your product key from?  Did you use the same type media for your install as the key.  If you have an OEM key, you must use an OEM CD.  If you have a Retail CD, you must have a Retail key.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I used the disc that came with the laptop at purchase. I used the product key listed on the laptop. It is a valid/genuine disc that was purchased with the laptop and already installed when purchased about 6yrs ago.
    Brianne M Lautner
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Contact the manufacturer of your PC and point out this problem: according to what you wrote, you own an OEM License and it's up to the PC manufacturer to provide support for that license.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:14 PM
  • you are either entering the wrong product key / cehck for your network connections / Install the OS with the same XP cd that you had got it with the product key.

help links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/default.aspx

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 3:18 AM