none
SharePoint Online - Adding .eml or .msg files in document library are opened by default in web browser (unable to view attachments) instead of Outlook

Question

• Just trying to figure out whether adding a .eml or .msg file (saved email files) and then selecting the file in the document library and it opening in the web browser is whether this is by design and cannot be changed or can be changed to default to open with a client application? I have also configured in the the list settings - advanced settings Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents: Open in client Application but this still did not resolve it.

This is all OK except from the web browser view you cannot view the attachments to the email - only the text in the original message.</legend>

In SharePoint on premise I think you were able to add the MIME types so .msg and .eml files would open automatically with client applications but obvioulsy we cannot do this on SharePoint online.</legend>

Any tips or workarounds from others who have encountered this issue/feature?</legend>

• Edited by Leon_IL Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:15 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Leon_IL,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2013 environment and SharePoint online environment, in SharePoint 2013 on premise, when I click the .msg file in document library, I can open it in outlook client application.

In SharePoint online environment, in new experience I click the .msg file in document library, I only can open it in browser even if I have set the Open in client Application in advanced settings.

If I switch to classic experience and click the .msg file, I can open it in outlook client application.

So you could consider switching to classic experience in SharePoint online.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:30 AM