none
Outlook making extra icons in my taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two outlook profiles on purpose - I don't want all my mailboxes personal 3 and work 2 companies in the same profile.    In 2016 (and 2013) I'd create a shortcut to each profile and put it in my taskbar.   If I opened email calendars etc, it would add those as layers on the shortcut.  With 2019 it creates a new icon in the taskbar and adds layers to that.   Is there a way to make it behave like 2016 on the taskbar.

Friday, April 19, 2019 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi boe_d,

>>  If I opened email calendars etc, it would add those as layers on the shortcut.  With 2019 it creates a new icon in the taskbar and adds layers to that.  

What do you mean by “add those as layers on the shortcut”?

I tested this issue with retail version of Outlook 2019 and follow the steps in this article to create a shortcut with a particular profile. It works the same when I tested with Outlook 2016.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If possible, you can also provide a screenshot here for better understanding.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 22, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Yes, I set up shortcuts the same way.  e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" /profile WORK

The icon on the far left is a shortcut to my work outlook profile.   When I click on it it creates that new icon to the far right of my taskbar.   As I keep clicking on the icon to the far left, it keeps adding more open windows to the bottom right icon. 

With 2016, as I opened more than one outlook session - it would add them to the shortcut icon on the left - there would be no additional active icon to the right.

As a result of this issue, I keep opening more and more and more outlook sessions as I think i don't have my calendar, contact, mail etc open already.

Below is another one of my computers still running office 2016.   As you can see when I click on my work shortcut, it doesn't make the additional icons in the taskbar - it adds the sessions to the shortcut icon.    This is far more convenient for me particularly since I've been used to it operating that way for over a decade.   Imagine you buy a new car and they reverse the location of the break and gas pedal - that is how I feel about this new "feature".

• Edited by boe_d Tuesday, April 23, 2019 4:52 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:45 AM
  • Hi boe_d,

Thank you for your detailed update.

I checked this on my Outlook 2019 (version 1808). If I only pin customized shortcut to the Taskbar, Outlook window will be opened with a new icon.

If I pin Outlook shortcut(without customization) to Taskbar, all windows will be added to this icon. (see screenshot below)

I searched a lot and haven’t found related article to confirm whether this is by design.

As a workaround, you can pin the original Outlook.exe shortcut to the taskbar (put in a front position to hold these additional windows for your easily checking).

Besides, please post your feedback to Outlook UserVoice forum.(This forum also apply to Outlook 2019)

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:25 AM
  • Thanks for verifying.   I truly hope they fix this as I'll have to go back to 2016.   If you only have one profile pinning the exe shortcut isn't an issue but for people with multiple profiles, this is a huge setback.  It might seem insignificant to people who don't have more than one profile but since I spend about 4 hours a day replying to and creating emails this is a significant drawback.
    • Edited by boe_d Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Hi boe_d,

I can understand your feelings. I'm wondering if we can just keep the shortcut on the Desktop which may also be easy for checking.

Anyway, you can post the feedback in the link above.

Thank you for your understanding and support~

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:07 AM
  • I can - however and it isn't unreasonable to ask but I'm sure you'd be floored if someone said why not just remove all shortcuts from your taskbar and use shortcuts on your desktop.   I'm not mocking you - I'm just making it clear MS work-arounds don't qualify as fixes.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 11:26 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I can understand your feelings. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Please post your feedback to Outlook UserVoice forum.

Thank you for your understanding and support :)

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:55 AM