wsus deploy cumulative updates RRS feed

• Question

• hello , I want to ask some question about the WSUS, We know in wsus, there lots of update classifications

e.g. security update, critical update, update,

if I want to deploy monthly cumulative updates, what type should I choose in wsus? the security updates or Updates?

as below, i found 2 different cumulative update from windows update catalog. why have 2 ?????

and

If I just install a brand new windows, and already installed 2019 April cumulative update, is that means I dont need to install 2019 March cumulative update ?

thx
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Jerry,

Thank you for posting here.

if I want to deploy monthly cumulative updates, what type should I choose in wsus? the security updates or Updates?

as below, i found 2 different cumulative update from windows update catalog. why have 2 ?????

Here are some of the information in the two updates in the screenshot:

• March 12, 2019: KB4489868
      This update includes quality improvements, and resolved security vulnerabilities. So its classification is Security Updates.
    • March 19, 2019: KB4489894
      This update includes quality improvements. So its classification is Updates.

In summary, how to choose the type needs to be based on your needs.

• If you need the latest Cumulative Update, it is recommended to choose these two.
    • If you need the Cumulative Update for security vulnerabilities, it is recommended to choose Security Updates. 

If I just install a brand new windows, and already installed 2019 April cumulative update, is that means I dont need to install 2019 March cumulative update ?

The latest Cumulative Update always includes historical fixes. If you have already installed KB4493464 released on April 9, you no longer need to install KB4489894 and KB4489868 released in March.
    As a reference, you can see that KB4489894 and KB4489868 have been replaced by KB4493464.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jerry So Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:58 AM

All replies

• :) anyone ? thanks~~
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:58 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thank you for posting here.

Here are some of the information in the two updates in the screenshot:

• March 12, 2019: KB4489868
      This update includes quality improvements, and resolved security vulnerabilities. So its classification is Security Updates.
    • March 19, 2019: KB4489894
      This update includes quality improvements. So its classification is Updates.

In summary, how to choose the type needs to be based on your needs.

• If you need the latest Cumulative Update, it is recommended to choose these two.
    • If you need the Cumulative Update for security vulnerabilities, it is recommended to choose Security Updates. 

The latest Cumulative Update always includes historical fixes. If you have already installed KB4493464 released on April 9, you no longer need to install KB4489894 and KB4489868 released in March.
    As a reference, you can see that KB4489894 and KB4489868 have been replaced by KB4493464.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jerry So Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:58 AM
  • greeeeeet!!!! that what I need, thank you !
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:38 AM