Vista install looking for Disk 5??? Using January DVD RRS feed

• Question

• I copied the contents of the January 2007 DVD to a Hard drive and run the Vista installation with "Virtual CDRom Control Panel" drives pointing to the cd images.  Every time the installation asked for a new CD I pressed the eject button and mounted the next CD.  The installation proceeded copying files but after the 4th CD it asked for a 5th CD.  The DVD only shows 4 disks on the

EN_OS_ISO_2429.5\ENGLISH\WinVista\ISO\ directory.

I then copied the contents of Disk2, Disk3 and Disk4 into the \sources directory, and run the installation again but the install also failed at the same point.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Luis.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:39 PM

Answers

• Vista installed.

I gave up on trying to install Vista from the DVD mentioned above.  On the same distribution there is another DVD (Disk 3703) which does not have images but the full installation.  Maybe I was too lazy to look thru all the DVDs that came last month. I think Disk 2429.5 has an incomplete set of images because it was asking for a 5th one.

Now for the fun part of trying to find all the Vista drivers for peripherals. I am a bit surprised that Vista did not find that I have a USB Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz network adapter connected to the system since they are so common.

On another note, this is a Dell 2.4GHz with an integrated Video on motherboard so I expedted to get equivalent video properties as XP-pro on this box, but when I changed resolution to 1024x768, display was almost unusable with about 8 colors only.  This brings flashbacks of beta NT3.51. Oh well seems like minor annoyances that could become a good excuse to buy a decent video adapter.  I will also go to the Dell site to see if there is some Vista friendly FAQ.  If you know of one, please send it my way or post here. Thanks.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Yes, Dell have a set of pages for Vista support downloads at

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WLH&osl=EN

in my case a Dimension 2400 they provide drivers for a number of peripherals.

Same think for Linksys and the USB network adapter and all of their Vista supported products at...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671146109&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Good luck.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 7:17 PM

All replies

• Vista installed.

I gave up on trying to install Vista from the DVD mentioned above.  On the same distribution there is another DVD (Disk 3703) which does not have images but the full installation.  Maybe I was too lazy to look thru all the DVDs that came last month. I think Disk 2429.5 has an incomplete set of images because it was asking for a 5th one.

Now for the fun part of trying to find all the Vista drivers for peripherals. I am a bit surprised that Vista did not find that I have a USB Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz network adapter connected to the system since they are so common.

On another note, this is a Dell 2.4GHz with an integrated Video on motherboard so I expedted to get equivalent video properties as XP-pro on this box, but when I changed resolution to 1024x768, display was almost unusable with about 8 colors only.  This brings flashbacks of beta NT3.51. Oh well seems like minor annoyances that could become a good excuse to buy a decent video adapter.  I will also go to the Dell site to see if there is some Vista friendly FAQ.  If you know of one, please send it my way or post here. Thanks.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Yes, Dell have a set of pages for Vista support downloads at

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WLH&osl=EN

in my case a Dimension 2400 they provide drivers for a number of peripherals.

Same think for Linksys and the USB network adapter and all of their Vista supported products at...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671146109&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Good luck.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 7:17 PM