Mapped drives and permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I have managed to work around most issues in mapping a SharePoint Online document library to a drive letter on Windows 7 machines. The problem I'm having is that in the permissions of SharePoint I have it set so that users cannot delete documents. That permissions works via the web interface. However, when users map the drive they are able to delete documents. Is this a known issue?
    Monday, March 25, 2013 2:35 PM

Answers

• The problem was that Windows only appeared to be deleting the file. When refreshed, the file had not been deleted. False alarm.
    • Marked as answer by David Zimmer Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:07 PM

All replies

• Bumping this up. Has anyone experienced a problem in which clients without delete rights can still delete documents?
    Monday, March 25, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hi David..

This seems to be caused by some other credentials being used for the explorer
    view. Could you sign out of the site from IE, and check if the problem reoccurs
    after signing back in? If you still face the issue, try modifying any file and
    check which user shows up in the 'last modified by' in the web interface.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Hi David..

This seems to be caused by some other credentials being used for the explorer
    view. Could you sign out of the site from IE, and check if the problem reoccurs
    after signing back in? If you still face the issue, try modifying any file and
    check which user shows up in the 'last modified by' in the web interface.

Thanks for the reply pramod. The modified as property does show the user I'm signed in as. This does not seem to be the problem.

The only permission that seems to not apply to mapped drives is the ability to delete files. Via the mapped drive, users cannot see items that they are not allowed.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:19 PM
  • The problem was that Windows only appeared to be deleting the file. When refreshed, the file had not been deleted. False alarm.
    • Marked as answer by David Zimmer Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:07 PM