Roaming profile for Existing users? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

We're transitioning from XP to Windows 7 soon.  We're considering shifting to roaming profiles, so we can use our existing backup infrastructure to begin backing up user data data. I've got a what-if.

Our user's have between 50MB and 2GB in their profiles.  We've allotted plenty of space for their data on our server stores.  What happens when I turn on Roaming Profiles for these users?  Does their existing data get copied up onto the Roaming Store?  

For instance, User Bobby has 300 MB in his profile on his PC. I enable Roaming Profiles and specify a store location for him.  On Bobby's next logon, what does he see?  Does his existing 300MB copy to the roam store?  Does this create a new local profile on his PC?  

Thanks for the info, guys,

Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Windows 7 uploads Bobby’s user profile data during logoff. And on Bobby’s next logon, he will use the roaming user profile.

By default, Windows 7 uploads roaming user profile data the same as earlier versions of Windows—during user logoff, Windows uploads the roaming user profile data to the server. However, Windows 7 uses the computer-based Group Policy setting, Background upload of roaming user profile’s registry file while user is logged on, to configure the User Profile service to upload roaming user profile registry data in the background while the user remains logged on to the computer.

For more detailed information, please refer to What's New in Folder Redirection and User Profiles.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 4, 2012 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Windows 7 uploads Bobby’s user profile data during logoff. And on Bobby’s next logon, he will use the roaming user profile.

By default, Windows 7 uploads roaming user profile data the same as earlier versions of Windows—during user logoff, Windows uploads the roaming user profile data to the server. However, Windows 7 uses the computer-based Group Policy setting, Background upload of roaming user profile’s registry file while user is logged on, to configure the User Profile service to upload roaming user profile registry data in the background while the user remains logged on to the computer.

For more detailed information, please refer to What's New in Folder Redirection and User Profiles.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 4, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Thanks Jeremy, that is precisely the information I was looking for.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 12:15 PM